Topstitch Needles for quilting tops >

Topstitch Needles for quilting tops

Topstitch Needles for quilting tops

Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Since I've switched to Topstitch needles for piecing and SID I haven't
gone back to quilting needles. I also use Essential thread and find
the Topstitch needles work better with this thread.
ditto from me... i love the topstitch needles.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I only buy Titanium coated Topstitch needles made by Organ sold by Superior. Instead of the monofiliment threat I use Wonderfill InvisaFil It's the best SITD thread I have found. I use a size 70 needle for most of my sewing.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:07 AM

I use schmetz topstitch needles for quilting but just regular thread.

eta: I use size 14. I've had shredding using connecting threads thread and size 12 needles.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I only buy Titanium coated Topstitch needles made by Organ sold by Superior. Instead of the monofiliment threat I use Wonderfill InvisaFil It's the best SITD thread I have found. I use a size 70 needle for most of my sewing.
As long as the mono thread is poly and not nylon is whats important
Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 AM

The top stitch needle has done wonders for me --it's all I use any more, Superior brand, titanium coated. 80/12. Don't know if other top stitch needles are as good or better, this one is available at my LQS. No more sinking first stitches or shredded threads in the needle.

When it comes to the mono-filament thread, not a fan. Had used it in the past - last time I wound it on my bobbin it wound on so tight that the bobbin would not release, and was not even 1/2 full - had to be unwound -- it is MonoPoly by Superior. Have used it in the past on smaller projects where it was appropriate -- it seems to "tighten up" through the needle, found it was necessary to release the presser foot with the needle down from time to time to keep it from breaking in the needle's eye and disappearing into the threading path.
You might want to try a sample or two before making a commitment on what to use for your project.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 AM

I've always read that you shouldn't use it in the bobbin. Or if you do, hand wind it or if your winder allows it, wind it more loosely. It's simpler for me to just not use it at all. lol
Old 07-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hulalulu View Post
The top stitch needle has done wonders for me --it's all I use any more, Superior brand, titanium coated. 80/12. Don't know if other top stitch needles are as good or better, this one is available at my LQS. No more sinking first stitches or shredded threads in the needle.

When it comes to the mono-filament thread, not a fan. Had used it in the past - last time I wound it on my bobbin it wound on so tight that the bobbin would not release, and was not even 1/2 full - had to be unwound -- it is MonoPoly by Superior. Have used it in the past on smaller projects where it was appropriate -- it seems to "tighten up" through the needle, found it was necessary to release the presser foot with the needle down from time to time to keep it from breaking in the needle's eye and disappearing into the threading path.
You might want to try a sample or two before making a commitment on what to use for your project.
When using Monopoly its necessary to turn your tension to about 2. Plus, Its pretty much impossible to wind bobbins unless you can go really slow. Superior has pre wound Monopoly bobbins wound on machines that they can control unlike we can do on our home machines. I have never felt the need to have invisible in bobbins but if I ever do I would purchase them.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Superior brand topstitch needles are made by Organ. Organ needles are the best in the industry according to all the articles I have read about machine sewing needles.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM

I used top stitch needles with monofilament thread and had nothing but trouble. I used the smallest needle sometimes a 70 -10 and get the best results with stitch in the ditch.... and I use spools upon spools of monofilament thread both poly and nylon.