Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Topstitching vs Zig Zag >

Topstitching vs Zig Zag

Topstitching vs Zig Zag

Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Judy, you can buy a double needle for your machine, the needle is the same at the top as a single, just has two needles at the lower end.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:51 PM

I also find when you're top stitching and going through multiple layers of fabric, that lengthening the stitch helps too.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
Judy, you can buy a double needle for your machine, the needle is the same at the top as a single, just has two needles at the lower end.
Ummm - will certainly check this out - my machine is very old, and I don't have much info on it but will check it out

Appreciate the info
Old 08-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
But only if she has a wide stitch plate opening. She needs to know how wide her zig-zag can go to know what size twin needle she can use.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by pam1966
I also find when you're top stitching and going through multiple layers of fabric, that lengthening the stitch helps too.
thanks, Pam - will also keep this in mind

I am just amazed at the amount of people willing to share what works for them -

The info freely given is truly invaluable to a "newbie"

Judy
Old 08-01-2010, 04:48 PM

You didn't mention the type of machine you have so I'll tell you what I use and you can visit the website and see what it looks like. That way, if you like what you see it will help you track something similar down for your machine. I use a Pfaff narrow-edge foot to top stitch (http://www.pfaffusa.com/4156_3450.html). I think some people call it a stitch-in-the-ditch foot. The blade follows the edge of the fabric and I adjust my needle to whatever distance I would like from the edge. Before I found that foot (I wish I had found it years before) I used the edge of the presser foot for the first round and one of the lines on the foot for another.

I hope this helps. Finding the right foot can make your life much easier.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
You didn't mention the type of machine you have so I'll tell you what I use and you can visit the website and see what it looks like. That way, if you like what you see it will help you track something similar down for your machine. I use a Pfaff narrow-edge foot to top stitch (http://www.pfaffusa.com/4156_3450.html). I think some people call it a stitch-in-the-ditch foot. The blade follows the edge of the fabric and I adjust my needle to whatever distance I would like from the edge. Before I found that foot (I wish I had found it years before) I used the edge of the presser foot for the first round and one of the lines on the foot for another.

thanks for the info ........I have an old Kenmore 127-8180
Old 08-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Could you use a decorative stitch? That is what I do so I don't have to sew twice and have double the crooked lines.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

I use my zig zag stitch a lot. It covers little wiggles in your lines.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy

Yes, I have this too for my Vikings, some older machines can't use it tho.