Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tote/Bow Tuck Question >

Tote/Bow Tuck Question

Tote/Bow Tuck Question

Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 AM

I'm making a Bow Tuck using magnetic clasps rather than a tie and button. For those who've made a Bow Tuck before, should I put the clasp through the lining piece with the FF attached? Or should I just put it through the lining piece?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 AM

I used one a while back on the convertible tote. Don't remember how I did it though. But do remember I did not like it because the magnets were too strong. I felt that the fabric around it would not hold up to the pressure required to pull the magnets apart.

I have also used buttens with a loop closure. Not real secure. The fasteners that I have really like have been velcro. I suppose zippers would be best but I hate working with them.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Banned

I like putting a zipper in them. Much more secure, but not as decorative.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:23 AM

These are totes for someone else, she purchased the supplies asking that I use the magnetic clasps. I'm just not sure when to put them in. I'm thinking if I want them to hold up well to use, I'll reinforce the fabric and attach them through both the fabric and the FF layer.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM

I have made bags with magnetic snaps and I put the prongs through the lining and fusible fleece as I think the lining will wear thin around the snaps. In fact I also place a small square of interfacing with 2 slits cut in it for the prongs behind the FF for added reinforcement. Hope that helps.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
I used one a while back on the convertible tote. Don't remember how I did it though. But do remember I did not like it because the magnets were too strong. I felt that the fabric around it would not hold up to the pressure required to pull the magnets apart.

I have also used buttens with a loop closure. Not real secure. The fasteners that I have really like have been velcro. I suppose zippers would be best but I hate working with them.
I used a magnet on one I made for my Mom. I had also made her one just using the button. She hated the magnet. It was too strong. She had to put her fingernail inbetween the two pieces and gently pull to get the bag open. There was alot of pull on the fabric. She liked the button much better. Saved her fingernails too. I ended up opening the lining up and taking out the magnet and doing a small zig-zag to close up the holes. She still carries it and you really can't see where I closed up the holes. I just made a couple to donate to the cancer walk to be raffled. I used buttons. I don't think I'll use magnets again.

Oh, I also put a small piece of cardboard behind the snaps but still didn't help. It still pulled the fabric.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Moedeenie
I have made bags with magnetic snaps and I put the prongs through the lining and fusible fleece as I think the lining will wear thin around the snaps. In fact I also place a small square of interfacing with 2 slits cut in it for the prongs behind the FF for added reinforcement. Hope that helps.
Haven't made that particular bag but that is how I reinforce mine, too. You can also reinenforce it with the heavy pellon or timtex to help with the wear.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 PM

I think I put it through the lining with the fusible in place and also cut a small piece1.5" or so of pellon decor bond to help stabilize it a little more. Hope this helps
Old 04-28-2011, 02:00 PM
crt

I put it through the lining with the FF attached. I use a small square of batting to add strength. I have made dozens of bags and have never had a problem. Hope that helps!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by crt
I put it through the lining with the FF attached. I use a small square of batting to add strength. I have made dozens of bags and have never had a problem. Hope that helps!
Definitely!! Thanks a bunch for your input, guys!