Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tour de France quilt along something?? >

Tour de France quilt along something??

Tour de France quilt along something??

Old 06-29-2010, 06:51 PM

is anyone organizing a quilt along or challenge to run during the Tour de France?

husband is an amateur cyclist and we will be watching, would be nice to have some dedicated hand/machine work for the duration

if there is any interest, I can pot something here or on my blog
Old 06-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Time stops in our house during the TDF. We have been watching since the 80's. I never really thought about quilting along with it though. Sounds like an interesting idea. My daughter is an Irish dancer and we are in the process of making her a new dress (she just moved up to novice for all her dances). Maybe I can sew this dress along with the Tour?? :)

Glad to see other fans out there. Being an Aussie I am guessing you must be supporting Cadel Evans?? Great guy and I'd really love to see him win one. Of course we love Lance too.....and Levi. Can't wait for next Sunday!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 PM

I thought I was the only one to be sooooooooo hooked on watching the Tour de France. My family doesn't have the same interest in it as I do, but everything also stands still for the 3 weeks it's on. I sooooooo look forward to it every year.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by kim_s
Time stops in our house during the TDF. We have been watching since the 80's. I never really thought about quilting along with it though. Sounds like an interesting idea. My daughter is an Irish dancer and we are in the process of making her a new dress (she just moved up to novice for all her dances). Maybe I can sew this dress along with the Tour?? :)
I have also followed the TDF since the 80's and have got hubby interested as well. We also watch any other tours we find on Versus :D

I am part Irish, but I was a Premier level Highland dancer. In fact, I am supposed to be practicing so that I can perform at a friend's birthday party in a few weeks :shock: I hope these old bones can take it :lol:
Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 PM

It is the only topic of conversation here in France while in progress - we love it and watch every day.
Several years ago the Tour came through our nearest small town, it is great to see it all go through, especially the "caravan" beforehand which is great fun.
Here is a link with this year's route, timings, history etc
http://www.letour.fr/2010/TDF/COURSE..._parcours.html
Old 06-29-2010, 10:12 PM

I love watching the Tour de France each year. I've only been watching in the 2000's though. I'll never understand the strategy, but certainly admire all the riders with their ability to stay in it until the end.

Since my sewing machine has a tv in the same room, I'm sure I'll be watching and sewing up a storm.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM

I love watching the Tour. There will be no problems finding something to work on.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:55 AM

Oh, Katrine, I am so jealous. It is the only time of the year that I can tolerate the TV in the bedroom, we doze and watch the tour.
One day, we would love to travel with the caravan, MOTH is a Sports and Remedial Massage Therapist, and I used to cook for a living. . . . .surely some team would love to have us!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:45 AM

This is a change of events, but along the same line as it is internsational. Anyone coming to Lexington,KY for the World Equestrine(?) Games in OCt.?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
Oh, Katrine, I am so jealous. It is the only time of the year that I can tolerate the TV in the bedroom, we doze and watch the tour.
One day, we would love to travel with the caravan, MOTH is a Sports and Remedial Massage Therapist, and I used to cook for a living. . . . .surely some team would love to have us!
It's a great event. Took me a couple of years to understand all the tacticals that go on though.
You'll have seen all the thousands of people and caravans who follow the Tour all the way - we know French people who always have their annual hols to follow it around, and there are many many other mainland European nationalities who do the same.
Try and hire a caravan in France in July!! No way, they are booked year on year.
The logistics of the operation overall are incredible. The whole caboodle moves overnight to each different start stage and finish. Cities and big towns vie for the honour of hosting either a departure or arrival.
Roads are closed totally for hours and hours.
Even for people not interested in the cycling, watching the TV coverage is a great way to see different areas of France in detail.
On French TV we have a daily one hour programme before the live coverage - featuring either a particular year from way back, or a famous rider, or a particular team through the years - and doesn't matter what else is happening in the world, "Le Tour" is the main news item every bulletin.