Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: tracing templates

tracing templates

I am wondering about some templates I have that are not rigid like rulers and have to be traced onto the fabric. Won't tracing them make the piece larger? I have learned from all of you that the thickness of thread can make a difference, won't tracing with a pencil make the piece larger than cutting against a ruler? I hope I made myself clear. Can I put a ruler on top of the template and cut? That would cancel the requirement of having to trace around it? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    you didn't say what kind of templates- but I often place a ruler over my templates & cut my shapes- when they are straight edges- if the template is an odd shape or for some reason I feel tracing would be better I do that- since the outside edge of your template includes your seam allowance- a pencil line is not going to effect the size of your finished shape- if you feel your line is *heavy-thick* you can always cut on the inside edge of the line instead of the outside of the line.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

The templates are for a tumbler block, the edges are straight. Thanks.

pw6
    If you use the same templates a lot send a print out to AccuQuilt and have them make you a die for it. they can make anything.

Blog Entries
    I trace around my acrylic drunkard's path templates all the time and then cut on the lines with scissors. no problems. and tumblers and hexagons too.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I just cut on the inside of the trace line.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.