Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tracking quilt costs and labor >

Tracking quilt costs and labor

Tracking quilt costs and labor

Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

If your going to show your notebook to a potential client, I would have a "mock up" of an example quilt, with everything down to thread, priced on the page.
Time, labor and electricity have value too.
Don't think of your time as you get to have fun. So we do, but...the time I spend quilting, (for someone other than family), is time i could have been playing with my grandbabies or going somewhere with my hubby or visiting good friends. I'm not going to get that time back.
You need to look out for you, so that you laugh on your way to the bank bc of self satisfaction over a job well done and a win-win.
Also, if a potential client sees what goes into a personal made quilt, they are much more likely to take good care of it. Not that you have to worry about that, but it would be nice to know that it might be around for future generations to ooh and ahh over and inspire somebody.:wink:
Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 PM

my suggestion make a few for them to choose from. see how that goes. our work is not so much appreciated when we put dollar signs on it. do it for love and fun.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Quiltncrazy,

I already label my fabrics, but I don't have the detail you put into it. I just use a 3x5 paper with yardage amount, and name of fabric. I decided to start adding price and date to that.

When I do start my notebook, it will be done nicely as a presentation book, showing the quilts made, fabrics used, prices for material, labor, etc and the estimated price to make the same depending on fabric prices.

I was advised by a friend today to add $20 for use of my tools such as rulers, sewing machine, etc. and she said I should make sure I add in tax and shipping charges when figuring out the price of fabric per yard. She thinks $10 per hour is way too low for labor costs, but I think it is fine. Most of the work will be done while watching the news and a movie (which is when I sew anyway). I did like her idea to just add $30 for my expertise. I'd be more comfortable with that.

Diane
Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 PM

Quiltncrazy,

I already label my fabrics, but I don't have the detail you put into it. I just use a 3x5 paper with yardage amount, and name of fabric. I decided to start adding price and date to that.

When I do start my notebook, it will be done nicely as a presentation book, showing the quilts made, fabrics used, prices for material, labor, etc and the estimated price to make the same depending on fabric prices.

I was advised by a friend today to add $20 for use of my tools such as rulers, sewing machine, etc. and she said I should make sure I add in tax and shipping charges when figuring out the price of fabric per yard. She thinks $10 per hour is way too low for labor costs, but I think it is fine. Most of the work will be done while watching the news and a movie (which is when I sew anyway). I did like her idea to just add $30 for my expertise. I'd be more comfortable with that.

Diane
Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like a good plan. I don't know how it works out where you are located, but here if you work from home and submit a tax return relating to income earned with your creative endeavour you can claim part of your electricity bill, furniture/machine purchase/repairs and things like that. May be worth checking out if you are going to produce a reasonable income.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dmackey
Quiltncrazy,

Diane
Sounds like your book is going to look very nice. Mine are just for my own personal need for organization and structure and not a business tool :wink:
I like your friends suggestions about adding for mileage and wear and tear on your rulers, etc. and your a very fair and flexible person I think, not to charge too much for your expertise.
If this is real successful as you get better and get more clients, you could always modify that, if you got busier, but you might not want to.
It is one of the best hobbies in the world after all! :-D
Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy

IIf this is real successful as you get better and get more clients, you could always modify that, if you got busier, but you might not want to.
It is one of the best hobbies in the world after all! :-D
It is going to take some time to get this together, but I will be documenting every thing from this point on and starting the book as I make more quilts. I'm in my late 50s and when it is time to retire, I'll be home sewing and hopefully, making some extra income, doing things I love to do!

I would be quilting anyway, it would cost me a bundle, and I give them all away as well, so better to find a way to support this hobby.

Diane

Diane
Old 04-15-2010, 08:14 AM

good luck. what if you are using scraps of fabric?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
good luck. what if you are using scraps of fabric?
Because I buy in yardage the majority of the time, I will know the price of the fabric because I will have it cataloged. If I do use scraps, they have to be figured into the yardage. I am pretty sure that pricing for fabric will be per yard, and not partial sizes. After all, it was paid for at one time or another by me.

Most of my quilts use three or four fabric choices and are not really scrappy. Depending on the size of the quilt, it can be determined just how much actual fabric goes into it and I can price by the yard that way, even if using scraps. Solid borders are always lengthwise cuts for me, so that can add up.

I will have some finished quilts as well as making custom quilts based on patterns available in my show and tell book.

Diane