Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trade-in my Bernina?? >

Trade-in my Bernina??

Trade-in my Bernina??

Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Arleners
I have a Bernina 440, with the BSR. It is a good machine, but although VERY expensive, there are not the bells and whistles I wanted. Last year I broke down and bought a Brother Innovia(?) Laura Ashley Edition. I love it. It cuts the thread, the needle threader is so much easier than the Bernina. The feet are less expensive so I can buy more. It has stitches up to 7mm. I do not regret giving up my bare bones cadillac for a fully loaded Kia!
I love my Brother also,,,,,,but kept my old Bernina for backup....no BSR
Old 11-05-2011, 01:50 AM

I purchased a Viking / Diamond Deluxe a few months ago [latest madel] I absolutely love it. The embroideries come out beautiful. I have owned Vikings for over 40 years and believe they are a good solid machine. Also have a small Janome for retreats etc. I felt that the newest Berninas were difficult to learn how to use, as even the demonstrator at a Bernina dealership was having problems.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:45 AM

I have been reading all the posts on this topic. How does one determine the value of an older machine? I have looked on ebay but don't see a good example of my machine ( Bernina 1530). Is there a site that gives you a ballpark type range for different machines? I realize that condition of the machine, etc. is a huge factor. Thanks, in advance, for your comments.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:03 AM

What is the lowest priced good machine? I use my 15 year old Singer for most sewing but have been tempted to up grade. Budget limit is less than $5oo. (old lady on SS) I do not make bed size quilts but do like wall sizes. My Singe has more room than my Brother but the fancy stitches are better on the Brother.