Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In the tradition of our forebears...(sort of) >

In the tradition of our forebears...(sort of)

In the tradition of our forebears...(sort of)

Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Nice find! I LOVE vintage sheets for quilt backs.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 AM

Kudos to Faintly Artistic and all the people who re-purpose good used items! I seldom use anything else. I go to my Saver's store on tag clearance day (Monday here) and buy beautiful sheets for 99 cents. I can buy 100% cotton sheets because almost all sheets have a tag on them listing fiber content. My favorites are Egyptian cotton. Sometimes I find bundles of new fabric there too. I can quilt all I want without breaking the bank! I use starch when I quilt, so the fabrics work up like new fabrics. Yes, there are times when I pick up some bright print to accentuate my re-purposed fabrics, but I get some gorgeous colors and PRINTS that no one would ever guess came from sheets. My grandmothers both quilted using scraps and hand-me-downs and those quilts are coming close to being 100 years old. My grandmothers' quilts stand as proof that used fabrics do last.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:03 AM

I've got a lot of fabric from people de-stashing, and from the families of two of my quilting friends that unfortunately have passed in the last few months. I've certainly put them to good use!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:03 AM

Goodwill on Senior Day this week netted 19 quarter yard pieces of purples from very light to dark $3.50. Tuesday is Senior Day at Value Village and the first place I go is to bedf and bath where the fabric is. Tomorrow, St. Vincent dePaul thrift store has 50% off everything. I scored a roll of cream (linen at least 15 yards & 60" wide) a month ago for $7.50. Love linen and will end up dyeng most of it.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:37 AM

Quilt9226...great finds! I also head straight for the linens section. If hubby is with me, he heads to the electronics/stuff. We make a good team. (we resell stuff on EBay) I turned 2 pillow shams into a bed runner and am about to make a bed runner and 2 shams from 4 very colorful napkins I picked up. I think it's an adventure, you never know what you'll find and then you get to challenge yourself to make something new from something old. So much more fun than plunking down a bunch of money for a designer line and making something that looks like the other thousands of quilts just like it...just sayin' Oldest daughter and I are about to embark on dyeing a bunch of thrifted cones of crochet cotton for hand quilting. I big stitch and my favorite threads are 30 & 40 wt crochet cotton, but they are typically only white and ecru...
Old 05-28-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by quilt9226 View Post
Goodwill on Senior Day this week netted 19 quarter yard pieces of purples from very light to dark $3.50. Tuesday is Senior Day at Value Village and the first place I go is to bedf and bath where the fabric is. Tomorrow, St. Vincent dePaul thrift store has 50% off everything. I scored a roll of cream (linen at least 15 yards & 60" wide) a month ago for $7.50. Love linen and will end up dyeng most of it.
Would love to see pics of your hand dyed linen!