Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trapunto question >

Trapunto question

Trapunto question

Old 12-09-2017, 06:05 PM

Default Trapunto question

What product do you recommend to use for appliqué? I'm unsure of loft (low, medium, high etc) and whether to use 100%poly or poly/cotton blend. Thank you!!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, I don't know how I ended up double posting.

Last edited by Prism99; 12-09-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

There is more than one way to do trapunto. What method will you be using?

Typically what I would use for machine trapunto is medium or high loft polyester. Polyester tends to retain its loft better than cotton. This would be laid on top of whatever batting is used for the entire quilt. If the trapunto areas are quite small, say grape size, the medium loft might be easier to manage than high loft. Low loft typically will not give enough definition to make the extra work of trapunto worthwhile. However, there are some applications where it would be enough.

Much depends on how large the appliques are that you want to trapunto, and also how much quilting you want to do over the trapunto areas. If unsure, I would go with medium loft polyester.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:25 PM

Thank you so much. I'm not sure what the method is called but it's the process where you cut away where you don't want stuffed before you sandwich. You sew appliqué twice...one with loft than when machine quilting after you clip away the puffy stuff. Your recommendations makes sense so I'll start with medium and see how it goes.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 AM

On youtube . ABC's of quilting , trapunto that explains the how too's.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
...the process where you cut away where you don't want stuffed before you sandwich. You sew appliqué twice...one with loft then when machine quilting after you clip away the puffy stuff...
This is the method that I use to do trapunto too. I use wool batting for the trapunto and sew it on with water-soluble thread. That way the first stitching will dissolve when soaked in water after the quilt is finished and washed.

Don't forget to change the water-soluble top and bobbin thread when you have finished outlining the applique. Otherwise, all of your quilting will dissolve when washed.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
This is the method that I use to do trapunto too. I use wool batting for the trapunto and sew it on with water-soluble thread. That way the first stitching will dissolve when soaked in water after the quilt is finished and washed.

Don't forget to change the water-soluble top and bobbin thread when you have finished outlining the applique. Otherwise, all of your quilting will dissolve when washed.
Thanks for the tip. I never thought about using wool batting. I'll check that out too. I've never used water soluble thread. I can imagine the disappointment if you forget before you quilt. Yikes! That would be awful. I've used monofilament and scraps of batting on small projects (really small) but this will be my first quilt top using trapunto method. I'm excited to try.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

I agree that wool batting would be a good choice. Superior's water-soluble thread is great, if somewhat pricey. You would not need the heavy-duty version of it; the regular would be fine.