Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: treadle singer

how heavy are these and do you think i could cram it into the back of my little ford escape?

http://charlottesville.craigslist.or...614756434.html

TIA

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Oh my gosh, what a beauty!! I don't know what kind of car that is but I hope you get it ...... FAST!! :D

For that price I would sure try.

lol...its the next size down from a ford explorer...
    it is an suv but a small one

Blog Entries
    I sure hope you can, please try!

I sure know I can't pick one up in my Geo Metro!

Blog Entries
    My daughter put a small deep freeze in the back end of her escape. go git her girl and don't stop til you get it home. What a bargain.
    wish I could find just a cabinet like that here in my area for that money. I won a slant 301 tonight on EBAY. never thought I would get it. Asked the seller to please pack carefully as out of the 4 machines I have gotten 3 were damaged because they didn't think the USPS would toss them they were so heavy. My little Spartan was coming out of the box yesterday. broke the bottom that the machine sets in.

They are heavy, but if worse comes to worse and you are handy with a screwdriver you could always take it apart! Where there is a will.......!

Blog Entries
    take the machine out before you load it. also the drawers. then it is not so heavy.

Yes, this and take a screw driver. Where there is a will there is a way.

Quote Originally Posted by amyjo
    take the machine out before you load it. also the drawers. then it is not so heavy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    they are not as heavy as they are awkward..the weight is all in the top, but they need to lie down to travel safely..sigh..

go get her...

I got one same size into the back of my Trail Blazer without putting the back seats down. Good luck.
    Laurie

I was able to put one in the back of my Toyota van - behind the third seat. My daughter was 10 at the time, and she & I were able to move it with very little problem.

Blog Entries
    Wow...she sure is a beauty. See if the machine will pop off the table and put it in the front seat on the floor. Now, not only will the table not be so heavy, but, there is less chance of damaging the machine. I think if you lay it on its back, it should slide in. Good Luck.

If you tip the machine back there should be a pair of set screws near where it attaches to the table. Loosen those with a slotted screwdriver and you should be able to lift the machinem(it's still a little heavy) off the hinges that attach it to the cabinet. It's the heaviest part.

After that take the drawers out so they don't knock around (this also reduces the weight) and you should be able to get it in the car. A second pair of hands would be nice, though.

What a FIND!! Please let us know if you do make the trip!!

I have an Escape and I brought my 201 in a heavy oak cabinet home in it without any problems. Lay it down and you'll need some help to lift it in. I've also had a single bed in my Escape with just a little bit hanging out the window at the back heading to a college apartment!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful machine at an excellent price!

Take the machine out of the cabinet before you transport it. Consider 30 pounds of metal banging around in a cabinet of brittle, dry wood...

Take a couple of screwdrivers with you...tip the machine back, there should be a couple of screws holding it onto the hinge pins, loosen those and lift the machine off of them. Remove the drawers and lay the cabinet down in the back of your Ford...take pics when you get her home, and let us know her serial number! Looks like a 15-30(?). :)

Blog Entries
    I agree with removing the head for travel. The jiggle/vibration will put a lot of strain on the hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I have an Escape and I brought my 201 in a heavy oak cabinet home in it without any problems. Lay it down and you'll need some help to lift it in. I've also had a single bed in my Escape with just a little bit hanging out the window at the back heading to a college apartment!
    thnx...that so answers my ??'s...just waiting to hear back from them :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee

Take the machine out of the cabinet before you transport it. Consider 30 pounds of metal banging around in a cabinet of brittle, dry wood...

Take a couple of screwdrivers with you...tip the machine back, there should be a couple of screws holding it onto the hinge pins, loosen those and lift the machine off of them. Remove the drawers and lay the cabinet down in the back of your Ford...take pics when you get her home, and let us know her serial number! Looks like a 15-30(?). :)
    thnx for the info...will def bring screwdrivers...flat head or phillips head...do you know?...guess i could just bring both :lol:

SCORE!!!! Great great price!!

Blog Entries

Looks just like my 15-30 , Tiffany (or Gingerbread) decals! Only with the cabinet. Great find. I brought a White FR treadle home once following Charlee's advice - made it home beautifully! Do take the machine out of the cabinet - I wrapped mine in towels and put it on the floor behind the driver's seat. I didn't want it to fall or to become a 30 projectile if I hit the brakes hard for any reason.

Hope you get it - beautiful machine, great price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redturtle

thnx for the info...will def bring screwdrivers...flat head or phillips head...do you know?...guess i could just bring both :lol:
    For the age of the machine, they should be flatheads unless they've been replaced. (Phillips weren't introduced until later) :)

I would surely try.

Yes, yes, yes!! I've transferred these home in both a Mazda Tribute and a small Isuzu Rodeo. As everyone says, remove the machine head and put it on the back floor. I did not lay any of my 4 cabinets down, I just stood them up in the back. My weakling self and other women had no problem loading them in the back. Hope you get it - you will LOVE the seven drawer cabinet - it is a beauty!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast