Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Treasures found at thrift store...

The Salvation Army and Goodwills within a 30 mile radius of me don't carry fabrics, only a very rare and broken parts machine, and clothing/sheets are outrageously priced! Most merchandise is broken and missing parts. Cheap dinnerware sets are sold by the piece- plates $2, etc. The clearance men's shirts from WalMart that had been 3.99 with the tag still in it are tagged there at 7.99, etc. I am lucky enough to have a community Thrift Shop 3 miles away- decent men's shirts are only $1-$3! If they close I don't know where I'll go. Very occasionally I'll find nice fabric, but that's probably because someone from my Guild got there before me. All proceeds stay local. I ration my visits to 2x/month since there are bills to be paid. I don't go to garage sales, but do occasionally have good luck with Freecycle and Craigslist. Salvation Army donations from here immediately go out of state to a sorting warehouse. I picked up some books from a quilter that was moving and she'd just sent her husband to the SA with tubs of LQS fabrics! I raced there and was curtly told they were in the back and I could not buy them- at any price, that commonly fabric is just tossed since no one sews any more! I almost cried- missed the drop off by 15 minutes.

Blog Entries
    I went into a second hand shop (UK) to buy a skirt in the window. A snooty sale person looked me up and down and said, "it is only size 12" I replied " no problem I'm going to cut it up." You should have seen her face. My 6 year old nephew who was with me told me the lady looked upset when I answered her. After laughing I told him why. I cut up the skirt for applique roses it was perfect.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by mommafank View Post
    I think my two best thrift stores finds were 13 yards of 90 wide unbleached excellent quality muslin for 4.00 and old quilting mags for 20 cents each. I have picked up lots of odds and ends of fabric as well----always for just a little.
    Not that good, but I got 15 yards of natural colored muslin (42") and a good bit of other odds and ends for $5 a couple years ago.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    The Salvation Army and Goodwills within a 30 mile radius of me don't carry fabrics, only a very rare and broken parts machine, and clothing/sheets are outrageously priced! Most merchandise is broken and missing parts. Cheap dinnerware sets are sold by the piece- plates $2, etc. The clearance men's shirts from WalMart that had been 3.99 with the tag still in it are tagged there at 7.99, etc. I am lucky enough to have a community Thrift Shop 3 miles away- decent men's shirts are only $1-$3! If they close I don't know where I'll go. Very occasionally I'll find nice fabric, but that's probably because someone from my Guild got there before me. All proceeds stay local. I ration my visits to 2x/month since there are bills to be paid. I don't go to garage sales, but do occasionally have good luck with Freecycle and Craigslist. Salvation Army donations from here immediately go out of state to a sorting warehouse. I picked up some books from a quilter that was moving and she'd just sent her husband to the SA with tubs of LQS fabrics! I raced there and was curtly told they were in the back and I could not buy them- at any price, that commonly fabric is just tossed since no one sews any more! I almost cried- missed the drop off by 15 minutes.
    I"ve not been on Freecycle long but have never seen any sewing stuff. Craigslist has fabric once in a while, but generally the prices are way high.

OH, BTW, is $325 a good price for a Bernina Activia 125? (I think that was the name)
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries

Smile

What a treasured finds, enjoy! thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2