Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: tree skirt - template used

tree skirt - template used

After seeing some posts here I am considering making a tree skirt with the 9 degree 25" template. I am only hesitating because I wonder if that will be the only use for that template. Can it be used for other things? I have never made a round quilt, but I guess that template could make a quilt. Has anyone done that?

It can be used for many things. You can use it to make a more petaled Dresden plate, or a round table top cover/table cloth. And you may want to make more tree skirts in the future, as you get tired of one, do another, or maybe a gift for someone else.

Blog Entries
    Spicy Spiral table runners...
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    I think it can also be used for the patterns from the book Quilts Without Corners.

I've not seen the template, but maybe you could figure out how to make one in the correct size out of template plastic? Then you would not have to buy it.

My DH made one out of Plexiglas. I use it for Spicy Spiral Table Toppers.
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman in Red Horse Squadron"
    "Proud Grandparent of an American Air Force SERE"

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I think it can also be used for the patterns from the book Quilts Without Corners.
    YOu are correct. I have this book right by the computer as I was reading this.. I have been using the 10 degree ruler this week. Just cutting up some inexpensive Christmas fabric to start off with,
    I think they have an updated version of this book, I have an old one. There are at least 6 patterns listed.
    go to phillipsfiberart.com

thank you for your response.. I will have to check out phillipsfiberart.com as well. I did think of trying to make my own, but I am concerned that I would mess it up. If I thought I would use the template more than one time I would have less hesitation buying one

I thought there was a tutorial on making your own template but haven't found it yet. I did see this tute on a tree skirt though in case you missed it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...l-t150119.html

Here's another interesting thread about making your own. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t246199.html
    Last edited by thimblebug6000; 12-28-2014 at 09:43 AM.

I'm so glad that you posted this thread. I bought a wedge ruler after seeing this tree skirt pattern http://www.sulky.com/project/treeskirt/ The ruler I bought was an Omnigrid on sale at Joann's and and is seen here: http://www.prym-consumer-usa.com/bra...ITEM_NUM=RA624 I didn't know if the true wedge shaped one would be easier than this rectangular one with the lines. It's still wrapped in plastic in the closet. Maybe next Christmas? :-)
    Laura

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    After seeing some posts here I am considering making a tree skirt with the 9 degree 25" template. I am only hesitating because I wonder if that will be the only use for that template. Can it be used for other things? I have never made a round quilt, but I guess that template could make a quilt. Has anyone done that?
    You will find many uses for it as others have said, yes you can make a round quilt. I used a 10 degree template the long one and made a round quilt for my great nephew he is 4 months old now.

Nancy's notions sell a flexible large blade type template....can be used for large to small dresden plate type designs. Problem being you have to mark the lines from template, remove template, then cut.....

Blog Entries
    You can also use this template to make an elongated tumbler style quilt, a dresden medalion quilt, huge grandmothers fan, I am also currently using it to make a sunburst background for a wall hanging I am making for my DD to hang in her yoga studio.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Tree skirts (several types), table toppers, spicey spiral table topper, play mats and circular quilts. I use my 10 degree one for many more things than I thought I would--so glad I got it!