Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Trip around the World - Kingsize - question

Trip around the World - Kingsize - question

Has anyone ever tried a TATW in King size? I am so wanting to tackle this, but cannot get it in my brain how to do it.
    I have watched Eleanor's tutorial on the strip piece version, but it is for a much smaller quilt. I suppose if I added more pieces, the result would be the same, but would it be manageable?

I would also rather my quilt be oblong, instead of square.

I appreciate any tips and insight!

Blog Entries
    I have made a couple in the past, but not with a strip pieced version. I just laid it out on the floor (before I had a design wall). To get an oblong instead of a square, just have more rows than columns. You want odd numbers of rows and columns so the design starts in the middle both ways. If for instance you used 5" charm squares to make it, you could do a 21 sq wide x23 sq long layout, which would finish about 94-1/2" x 103-1/2".

It helps to draw it out on graph paper. I've found that the center looks better in a mid tone, not a very dark or very light. Too dark or too light can look like a hole in the design.

My avatar is a Quilt Around the World but the name of the quilt is Color Splash. I have made 3 Queen size quilt and they do instructions for a King size.

Here is the book on sale: (current retail is $12.99)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLOR-SPLASH...56263875&rt=nc

Take a look at the 2nd picture and it just might start to make sense.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Have you looked at the examples in our gallery? Here's a link http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums16960.html

There are some bed-sized; and also some rectangular, so you can see how they look when they are not square.
    Cathy

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    after looking at the pic on ebay that maniac posted, i recognize the two halves picture -- it makes the most sense... i made a small one & wasn't all that pleased with color placement --- it will make or break all your hard work

i'm pretty sure i have a trip around the world pdf version that was free on the internet years ago -- not sure if it is still available, but if you're interested in it i can email it to you
    "variety is the spice of life"

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Found it! it is by RJR fabrics & Michigan State U and is for an 80X80, but does have very detailed directions...
    "variety is the spice of life"

Blog Entries
    I did one about 30 years ago and decided to tie it. The piecing was okay on the machine.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
    Found it! it is by RJR fabrics & Michigan State U and is for an 80X80, but does have very detailed directions...
    Thank you all very much for the tips. I would very much like to have the info if you would email me.
    I would like to make another one of these in the future, but strangely enough....I have started hand piecing this one!
    I have been wanting to try it for a while, and finally bit the bullet. I am actually surprised at how fast it is coming together, and the TATW seems a good pattern for hand piecing. I just started my center and going around and around, on my 5th row now

Eleanor Burns has a good book for doing the Trip Around the World quilt, crib to king.
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman in Red Horse Squadron"
    "Proud Grandparent of an American Air Force SERE"

I have made two, not king size. I worked it out with fabrics I wanted to use on graph paper. It sure helped me not to make too many mistakes. I think they were actually triple around the world. My Daughter loaned me her book.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    It was actually the first big quilt I made when I was 17. that was b4 design walls and rotary cutters. I cut each piece, a square. used graph paper to lay out the design, and followed along that way. it was about 130 x 130 for a king sized waterbed. came out great, and I hand quilted it in groups of rows then sewed the rows together. have fun.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

As I mentioned, right after I wrote this post, I decided to try my hand at hand piecing. I am both surprised and pleased at how fast this is coming along. This will be my first, but hopefully not my last hand pieced project.
    I am determined to use all fabrics from my stash!
    I hope it's ok to post a picture on this thread, to show my progress. Colors are not exactly true in picture.

yel
    Blog Entries
    if you sew them together in rows then sew the rows together you don't have to do the pivot thing ......i sew them all one way [at this point it looks like swiss cheese]lay it out make sure that all the colors are in the right place then fold and sew the opposite way

Very pretty, I used to have that peachy colored fabric with flowers and dots on it, made a lap quilt for my sis-in-law with it. Anyway, I see now you're doing it by hand, but I was going to suggest Bonnie Hunters method at quiltville.com. I made a pretty big one using 4 inch strips, don't remember measurements. It was cute, but I just made it to try the method, ended up donating top to my church sewing group.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollyo View Post
    Eleanor Burns has a good book for doing the Trip Around the World quilt, crib to king.
    I used EB instructions. Her method has no matching seams so it goes together real quick.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by alderdweller View Post
    Has anyone ever tried a TATW in King size? I am so wanting to tackle this, but cannot get it in my brain how to do it.
    I have watched Eleanor's tutorial on the strip piece version, but it is for a much smaller quilt. I suppose if I added more pieces, the result would be the same, but would it be manageable?

I would also rather my quilt be oblong, instead of square.

I appreciate any tips and insight!
    I made a TATW quilt in a queen size using the Eleanor Burns book . It has instructions for the king size as well that is not a square quilt but rectangular . It was very detailed and anything I was confused on I went back and watched the video . I liked how it came together .