Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trip Around the World quilt,Fabric bought today.. >

Trip Around the World quilt,Fabric bought today..

Trip Around the World quilt,Fabric bought today..

Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Pretty fabrics! It's easier to decide placement if you lay the squares out. I've made a few and always end up moving them around from my first layout. If you get stuck again, post some pics. We are always willing to give our opinions! :)
Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Magnificent fabrics and colors! I can't wait to see it put together! Teal is one of my colors... :lol: :lol:
Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
Pretty fabrics! It's easier to decide placement if you lay the squares out. I've made a few and always end up moving them around from my first layout. If you get stuck again, post some pics. We are always willing to give our opinions! :)
ok, maybe i can cut one strip of each, and cut one square out of each color, and play with them that way. great idea!
I will be doing the strip piecing method...to put this together..
thanks for the ideas everyone..i am going to cut it all up today, and start putting it together tomorrow and quilt group..
Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by katier825
ok, maybe i can cut one strip of each, and cut one square out of each color, and play with them that way. great idea!
I will be doing the strip piecing method...to put this together..
thanks for the ideas everyone..i am going to cut it all up today, and start putting it together tomorrow and quilt group..
Please let us know what you decide. 2 friends and I are making Trip Around the World at a retreat next month and I haven't chosen fabric yet.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 AM

nice combo of fab's
Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 AM

Love the fabrics - blue's my colour.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 AM

Another thing I do is to scan or take pics of the fabric and do a sample of the design on the computer. Nothing fancy, PowerPoint would work if you have it. It can give you an idea of the placement of colors. I'm sure it will be pretty no matter what you decide!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 AM

I think i am going to use bonnie hunters TAW instructions, only using 6 fabrics..she used 5 or 9 fabrics..lol! i am very sure i would not be able to omit one of these fabrics i have!

http://quiltville.com/tatw.shtml
Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 AM

Then are really pretty fabrics and colors.

I would take the first two from the left and place them betwenn the other blue and the brown print.

When I am not using light to dark and have two colorways, I want to group together the fabrics that tie the two colors to each other.

In this case the white, two blues, blues & browns, then the brown. I think I would use one of the blue & browns in the center, then go down throught the blues, white, the brown and then back through the colors.

that should give you a nice focal point in the middle.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 AM

When working on such a design situation. I use a piece of graph paper and draw out the design. Then I cut 1 inch squares of fabric and place on the graph paper. This way you can move the fabrics around until you find a color placement you like. This technique will let you know if the fabrics you have chosen will work, or if you need to replace one. Better to find out now if the colors work together than after you start piecing.