Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trip around the world-??'s >

Trip around the world-??'s

Trip around the world-??'s

Old 07-28-2021, 06:53 AM

Default Trip around the world-??'s

I was watching Donna Jordan's video on her trip around the world quilt. She did the video on one using 13 winter holiday themed prints. Of course all of her fabric was from the same line and coordinated perfectly. I have a huge supply (from the same person that gave me her leftover mask fabric to make quilts to donate) of different winter themed fabrics. I do indeed have 13 prints, but I am not sure how they all would look in a trip around the world quilt. I know she put color tones together, but I have also watched where people put transition colors in etc. This is the part of quilting that I get very nervous about. If I am not following an exact pattern with an exact fabric, I get concerned it won't look good. She didn't use the tube method but I have seen others do that as well. I have laid out 13 prints--and then other prints that I have. I think I would have enough of everything. Not sure about the white with the big trees. Ideas please.

(red moose fabric is flannel in the 2nd picture)
Attached Thumbnails image_67223553.jpg   image_67222785.jpg  
Old 07-28-2021, 07:16 AM

I think they would look lovely. I would not use the flannel with the rest of the cottons.....but if you had enough, it would make a lovely backing. I have put a flannel backing on a cotton top.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:25 AM

I would start with the lightest fabric in the center and work out to darkest. Or, start with darkest and work out to lightest.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:46 AM

I think you've got a great collection of fabrics that will work together no matter how they fall. The fine tuning and second guessing can stick with us forever...

When I'm looking at what happens to scale, I'll cut out the center of a piece of colored paper (junk mail, etc) the size of the finished block and just move it randomly over the fabric to see what happens. I'm thinking if you have about a 6" block the trees will be fine, but see what the worst possible placement is and whether you can live with it just ending up cutting that way or not.

In fine tuning, if you are keeping the colors together, I'd put the ivy on black print between the large scale cardinal and sweaters & stuff prints. Or maybe move the white background Cardinal in-between the red snowman and flower fabrics.

But again, this sort of fussing is the sort of thing that takes me hours and days to decide. And by the time I'm done with the project I always know if I had only done this or that, it would be better.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:00 AM

I think that your fabrics will work beautifully (listen to Sewingpup's advice on the flannel), and I'm with Iceblossom's first comments on this. The joy of a pattern like Trip Around the World is that there is very little that won't work. If you do a quick Google search, you will see all sorts of variations on tone placement and they all look just amazing - it all just depends on what you like. If you do the light to dark thing, you get sort of an ombre effect; if you mix your tones evenly, you get something that is reminiscent of four flights of stairs going to a central point. If you alternate lights and darks, your quilt can look a bit like one of those crocheted afghans. trust your instincts and enjoy the adventure! :-)
Old 07-28-2021, 08:14 AM

It is so easy to over think color groups, designers and so on. I don't know a quilter that hasn't gone through this more than once. I love your fabrics and they will work perfect no matter how you place them. Me, I would just let the pieces fall where they may and I have no doubt this will be a perfect quilt. The flannel should be used for something else and use all the cottons for the quilt at least that is my thought.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Other than the flannel I think they will all go together. Just go for it.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:49 PM

I agree with the others, it will look just great.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:08 AM

I also agree with others on "pull the flannel" and then just go for it, it will turn out great