Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Triple Border >

Triple Border

Triple Border

Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

I sew my borders together first and then remeasure and attach them to the quilt. I find that if I sew on one border and then another to that one and so on, my borders seem to grow. Making the strata with all the borders sewn together, ironing and measuring to get the same lengths help me to keep the waves out of my borders. I am sure everyone has their favorite method that works for them. As for piecing the borders, I would tend to stagger the seams unless you can work the seams into a design feature. Sometimes if I don't have enough length to go the whole length of my quilt, I place an extra block in the border. This solves the seam issue and continues the design out to the edge of the quilt which I some times like better.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
Are you going to miter them at the corner? Otherwise your won't have a continuous border of each fabric. You will have a striped effect at the corners.

That being said, if you still intend to do what I understand you to say I would sew the individual fabrics the the proper length and join them to the others. I would also stagger the seams so that you don't have them sort of matching but not quite.

Clear as mud, right?

In addiiton, when you join two like strips, do a bias join. The bias seam almost fools the eye to NOT seeing it.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
I agree with MaryLane. Here's what it looks like when you sew the borders together before attaching them. It was okay on a child's quilt, but I would have taken them off and redone them on a more formal quilt.
Sewing the borders together before attaching does not make a mitered corner out of the question. Just a matter of choice as to how you want to finish them