Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble with matching seams when pressed open. >

Trouble with matching seams when pressed open.

Trouble with matching seams when pressed open.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:26 AM

I find that the Clover Fork pins keep everything lined up- even when you press open. I don't know why it works so much better than using two pins- but it does.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Pressing to the side was because so many quilts were hand stitched and not as sturdy as machine stitching. I agree with the press open on quilts that will get a lot of use. I also agree that it depends on the bulk of the seam being stitched as I mentioned above. I do wall hangings mostly pressed open unless I'm planning on stitching in the ditch, than that is not feasible as the stitch in the ditch has no where to "hang" for lack of a better word.
LOL! Just reread my post. I meant to say that quilts that get alot of use should have the seams pressed to one side. Ofdah, it is monday!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:41 AM

When I need to match seams I get my trusty Elmer's Glue out and put a dab on the 1/4" edge so not to gum up my needle, either hold the pieces together between my fingers or if my iron is hot, I hit it with the iron for a second or two. I hate using pins anyway so this has been a life saver for me. It seems to work 98% of the time for me.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:54 AM

I agree with Snooze2978, I use my trusty Elmer's glue to match up my seams--a little dab'll do ya! Since using the glue, my seams have always matched up perfectly.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:12 PM

Thank you everyone. This has given me food for thought. I don't like using pins, it works better for me without them. Go figure that one. I've webbed my seams many times and that works well for me too. So it looks like I'll give the glue a try. Again thank you for responding.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

I press my seams open 98% of the time. I match them with a Clover Wonder Clip. I don't use pins unless I have too. Before the clips I used a dot of glue. I always back stitch at the start and end of a seam so the end of the seam won't open.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 AM

I have been using DogHouseMom's suggestion for more years than I'd like to confess. I started before I even thought about making quilts. I was solely a garment sewer but one who wasn't going to put the time, effort and money into a garment if I didn't do my best effort for a French designer salon look. I was working in an industry which demanded that sort of look plus the rest of the getup. Not much fun when one is a jeans and sneakers sort of girl but well paid.

Then I retired and a dear friend infected me. Quilts rule the roost around here.

Anyway, DogHouseMom's suggestion gets the job done and becomes habit over time. As to the sewing over pins problem, I sew up to a pin and then walk the needle over it by hand. S-L-O-W-L-Y! That way of handling a pin gets to be habit too. I think a good one.

Remember the old tv ad, "Try it. You'll like it"? Guess what. You will.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Pat
Old 03-17-2015, 06:40 AM

I use elmers school glue and clover clips to keep my seams matching. Once the glue is set (with a hot iron) they will not shift when sewing. Works perfectly.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

If you pin, use one pin put in at an angle. Using the multi pin method will distort the alignment no matter how perfect the pins are in place. I learned this and saw it proven in a very expensive class.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:22 AM

When I press my seams open, I match up the little nib of thread that sticks out over the end. Works well for me. I don't usually press seams open, but I am making a Baby quilt that has about 600 little squares in it. I have only had to unsew one little spot, so it is working for me.