Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble sewing on borders that lay straight...wavy edges >

Trouble sewing on borders that lay straight...wavy edges

Trouble sewing on borders that lay straight...wavy edges

Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM

Default Trouble sewing on borders that lay straight...wavy edges

I am puzzled about sewing on borders... I cut the fabric lengthwise, I use the walking foot, I measure fabric first, then sew together. But my border edges still seem to stretch. What am I doing wrong. I am about to make a quilt for a friend who is buying very expensive fabric and I don't want to ruin her quilt.
I have not had this problem with every quilt I have made, could it be the fabric? Am I leaving out an important step???
Old 03-01-2014, 01:38 PM

I measure 3 time. Once on each side (doing the sides here) and once thru the middle. Average these measurements. This is the figure for your side borders. Once you have sewn them on than measure again, across the top, the bottom and thru the middle. (This is assuming you are not mitering, a whole other subject.) Than I also sew with a walking foot with the body of the quilt on the bottom. Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:42 PM

You need to measure in the middle of the quilt, both length-wise and cross-wise, for an accurate measurement. If you do this carefully. it should eliminate the problem.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Check the quilts where you got the wavy borders for bias edges. If you have bias edges along the sides, it is easy to stretch them when you put on the borders. Starch the fabric well and if I think the edges of my blocks may stretch, I do a row of stay stitching around the quilt edge before sewing on the border. It also helps to put the quilt top on the bottom so the feed dogs ease in more fabric when sewing the border on top.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:46 PM

I do the same as dakotamaid. EXCEPT I find the middle of the quilt and the middle of the border .... I start pining from that point to each edge.

OR you can use Elmer's Washable School to glue the border on the stitch. If interested see http://sandyquilts.blogspot.com/2008...nd-quilts.html

Actually I do glue, I hate pins!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:55 PM

I do mine the way Bonnie Hunter (Quiltville) does. I cut strips the width of the border (not the length). I trim one end, fold the quilt in half, lay the border out along the folded center, align/pin one end, smooth out (do not stretch) along the quilt and trim at the other end. I do not use a measuring tape. My borders are never wavy using this method, and it's easier than trying to measure a long border. If the quilt I am working on is big, I will pin every foot or so along the way so it doesn't shift, then trim when I get to the end. Once I sew those 2 on, I refold the other way and do the same for the other sides.

Here is a link to her hints.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...der-hints.html
Old 03-01-2014, 03:21 PM

I must be nutbars I cut mine wof. if it takes two strips so be it but the wof makes it sure easier to quilt on. I also pin top edges then middle edge then work my way out pinning about every 4 inches lots of pins but seems worth it.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:50 PM

I also cut my fabric the WOF and use two or three strips depending on the size of my quilt. Then I lay the border down the middle from top to bottom and cut it off that length. I then start pinning along the side and if the quilt is a tad bigger than the lenght of the border I ease it in by pinning it. Once the sides are on and pressed I measure the quilt from the middle side to side. Then I pin it on the top and bottom . My borders are never wavy and I do this with every border that I add on.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I do mine the way Bonnie Hunter (Quiltville) does. I cut strips the width of the border (not the length). I trim one end, fold the quilt in half, lay the border out along the folded center, align/pin one end, smooth out (do not stretch) along the quilt and trim at the other end. I do not use a measuring tape. My borders are never wavy using this method, and it's easier than trying to measure a long border. If the quilt I am working on is big, I will pin every foot or so along the way so it doesn't shift, then trim when I get to the end. Once I sew those 2 on, I refold the other way and do the same for the other sides.

Here is a link to her hints.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...der-hints.html

I don't know where I got cutting fabric LOF I will try WOF, thanks.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Check the quilts where you got the wavy borders for bias edges. If you have bias edges along the sides, it is easy to stretch them when you put on the borders. Starch the fabric well and if I think the edges of my blocks may stretch, I do a row of stay stitching around the quilt edge before sewing on the border. It also helps to put the quilt top on the bottom so the feed dogs ease in more fabric when sewing the border on top.
I don't make larger quilts anymore but I did what Tartan stated. I first check that my quilt is square. Once I have measure, I pin. At the half way mark, at the quarter mark, at the eight mark. Marks on both border and quilt top and I match them as I pin. I make sure that the border is exactly where it should be. I never used a walking foot and never used starch back in the 90s. If I thought something might be out of whack, I would run an 1/8 of an inch stitch to make sure every thread stayed in place. Good luck. If you have to rip, then do it gently because whatever caused this problem will increase with severity if you are not careful with your thread removal. Take your time. Good Luck