Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Troubleshooting help? >

Troubleshooting help?

Troubleshooting help?

Old 07-12-2022, 04:09 PM

Default Troubleshooting help?

I'm hoping ya'll might have some ideas for me..I'm FMQ on my Pfaff Expression 720. It's newish to me (about 2ish years), and I'm still learning to work out the kinks.

When I'm FMQ, I'll be able to sail a long for a bit with decent tension and stitches and then suddenly it stops picking up the bobbin, skips stitches and after about 3-4 dozen more stitches, the thread breaks. (See the circled areas in picture)

I've tried changing the needle, different threads, new bobbins, I can't figure what gives.

I am using the Sensormatic free-motion option.

I thought the problem was needing service, so I took it in, but that hasn't helped. I've tried to explain it to the dealer, but it doesn't seem to do it when I'm there...(like when your car doesn't make the same noise at the mechanic's)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Meladie
Attached Thumbnails img_0416.jpg  
Old 07-13-2022, 04:55 AM

When I was having similar problems it turned out that my bobbin case was out of round.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:08 AM

I've found that using a polyester thread is better for FMQ than cotton thread. Poly has a little stretch to it that makes a big difference. A Top-stitch needle is also helpful. It has a longer, smoother eye that gives the hook more opportunity to catch the thread off the back of the needle.

There's a timing setting that some techs ignore. It's the needle/hook distance. If there's a big space between the needle and the hook, it helps to close that space. There should only be the thickness of a thread between the needle and hook.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

For thread breaks, make sure the thread path off the spool is not catching. On my machine I added an extra thread guide for a specific thread that kept looping around the extra thread spool pin and snap my thread. It takes a while to coordinate moving the quilt at a smooth rate and stitch formation. Try lowering your stitches per inch to see if that helps. Gloves like Machingers will help move the sandwich at a more consistent speed. If you are moving the sandwich too fast, the stitch can’t form properly.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:52 AM

My suggestions are to try shortening your stitch settings, so the needle is moving faster. After looking at your stitch length, it seems to vary and where the skipped stitches are it seems that the stitches before and after are a bit longer than some of the other stitches. It takes a while to get stitch length consistent when free motion quilting. If you are moving a bit faster, your stitches get longer and if you are moving the fabric even longer, the needle cannot clear the fabric fast enough and the needle bends and deflects a bit which can result in the stitch not forming right hence skipped stitches as the needle tip has been pulled a bit out of where it is supposed to be. You could also try using a bigger needle as that will be stiffer and not as likely to deflect.
My reason for suggesting you set the machine to more stitches per inch is that will make the needle move faster and if you are moving the fabric faster, it will shorten the time the needle is in the fabric, so it is less likely to be deflected.

Last edited by sewingpup; 07-13-2022 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:17 AM

Another idea is that the height of your pressure foot. If you have it too high off of your fabric, you'll get skipped stitches and broken threads because the fabric is bouncing against the foot as it takes stitches. Too low and you can't move the fabric freely. It's finding a sweet spot.

I agree with previous poster to shorten your stitch length. Also, true in how fast/slow you are moving your fabric.