Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to find the right machine >

Trying to find the right machine

Trying to find the right machine

Old 06-22-2010, 01:44 AM
tmg

Looking for a new sewing machine. What are a must have in one for quilting. I think I have it down to three machines, Janome 1600, Juki 98Q, and a Brother PQ-1500.I will be adding a stitch regulator to it. What else should I need in a machine. Please give me your input
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 AM

Features I like on mine are: built in walking foot, needle up/down, multiple needle positions, Accu-Feed (wonderful), knee lifter, start button (can set speed and without using pressure foot - just feed)
Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 AM

needle up/down
needle left/right
walking foot

i love my auto thread cutter on the janome 6600,but not a must have for me.

the first 2 machine are for straight stitching basicly,and quilting. they are both very good machines, and work horses!

the brother, i know nothing about,so can't help you there.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by tmg
Looking for a new sewing machine. What are a must have in one for quilting. I think I have it down to three machines, Janome 1600, Juki 98Q, and a Brother PQ-1500.I will be adding a stitch regulator to it. What else should I need in a machine. Please give me your input
I believe the Janome has a cover for the feed dogs--they don't drop. Also there are several different models of the Janome & Juki so you'll want to make sure you get the model with the regular domestic needle and automatic thread cutter. The Brother did not use to have a true needle up/down button. I'm not sure if it has been upgraded now but my guess is not since it is still the same model number so out of the 3, I would go with the Juki if it's the model with the auto thread cutter, needle up/down, regular needles (Flat on one side). You will also want to make sure you get a darning/free motion foot & a walking foot if it doesn't come with one. The Juki has a foot available called a 1/5 foot which many people swear by and try to adapt even to work on other types of machines.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:30 AM

Go to your dealer, try them out, get the one that has the most features that you can afford. Also, take into consideration the dealer. A good dealer can make a lesser machine the best deal. My dealer (sewing machine not other) says to figure out what you can't live without then go as much further as you can afford because you will eventually want/need far more features that you think you do right now.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about all of them but I have the Juki and it was the best buy I ever made. I love it for quilting. It sits on my frame now but was great without it. I love it.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

I have the Brother pq 1500s. It's exactly like the Juki in looks and features. I don't know about the guts. I have trouble with the threading. It's a lot of it! And the bobbin is awkward for me to get in and out. It sews great but I have trouble free motion quilting with thin thread. It likes the thicker thread. It's easy to fix, like an old Singer. I have learned some trouble shooting tips about this machine so if you get one and have a problem I may have had the same problem. Not many Brother dealers know much about these machines because they are so basic.