Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to make stars using half square triangles >

Trying to make stars using half square triangles

Trying to make stars using half square triangles

Old 07-04-2015, 02:50 PM

Default Trying to make stars using half square triangles

Really need help with the points. What am I doing wrong? when I sew the 1/4 seam allowance the point disappears. When I say 1/2 sq. triangles I mean after sewing down center of 2 squares. Then cuttiing apart. Also have the same problem if I'm trying to make pin wheels that method. Would appreciate any assistance my brain just isn't working these days.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:34 PM

If I were you I would Google 1/2 square triangles. .. There are lots of way to make them. Also Google Missouri Star Quilt Company, they have a U-tube video making them out of strips. Some instructions making them with oversized squares. I think seeing a video would be so much better than me tying to tell you how.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 07-04-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by bbeyes View Post
Really need help with the points. What am I doing wrong? when I sew the 1/4 seam allowance the point disappears. When I say 1/2 sq. triangles I mean after sewing down center of 2 squares. Then cuttiing apart. Also have the same problem if I'm trying to make pin wheels that method. Would appreciate any assistance my brain just isn't working these days.
You say sewing down the center....I hope you mean, marking down the center, then sewing 1/4" away from the center on each side. I've never lost my points using this method. Could you do some pictures of your process and post them. That may help us to understand why your points are going away.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

OK. First I'm guessing that you mean you draw a diagonal line on the square, sew 1/4" on either side of the line, then cut on the line. Then next step would be to press, then trim the triangles to the correct size. When you do this, make sure that the seam line is exactly in the 2 corners. Be careful when you square up, to make sure it's the correct size. If you are having problems with your triangles being too small, cut your starting squares larger. Sew your HST to another block. If you have used a proper 1/4" seam, the point(s) of the triangle that are in the seam should be 1/4" away from the raw edge. You might want to double check your 1/4" seam.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
Old 07-04-2015, 06:13 PM

Go view some you tube videos, very helpful. Also the your sewing and cutting has a lot to do with how they come out. You can do it.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:38 AM

I start with my squares that extra 1/8" larger (i.e. if size required is 3 7/8" I cut 4"). To add to what PaperPrincess said - when squaring up and/or trimming your HST's, measure from your seam - not the total square size. Measure 1/2 the size from the center seam to the outside edge and then trim; turn block around and do the same thing on the other side. This should give you a correct size block with your center seam exactly on the diagonal. Then, when you sew to the next unit, you should not lose your points if you are sewing with a good 1/4" seam.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Are you trying to make a Sawtooth or Variable star?? When I first started making HST, I found that I was NOT sewing a straight line. Be sure to draw on a line accurately from one point to another. I use sharp pointed lead that mechanical pencils will give you. Start from the beginning and take measurements at ever step you take to find out why you are losing your points. There are so many ways to make HST, you just have to find the method that works best for you.
Attached Thumbnails sawtooth-star.jpg  
Old 07-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Making sharp points is one thing that took me a while to get "fairly good" at. Practice, practice, practice. The ones that don't have sharp points can be made into charity quilts. Good luck
Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Power Poster

Buy this pattern and you will never lose your star points again. https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...-quilt-pattern
Old 07-07-2015, 05:11 AM

Can you take a picture of what you mean? I'm having troubling figuring out if you mean you're cutting off the point or what's happening exactly and when in the block assembly it's happening... When you join two hsts, you won't see the points yet because there is going to be extra on all sides for the seam allowance, and will look like this (seam allowance in green):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524517[/ATTACH]

If it looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524518[/ATTACH]

when you join the center square to the hst unit, you'll get this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524519[/ATTACH]

When I make hst stars or points, I make them too big and then use a 6.5 x 6.5 square ruler with a diagonal line to trim them down to correct size. Another extremely helpful tip is to make sure to 'nest' your seams. Press one hst toward the pink side and one toward the white side. After trimming put the hsts wrong sides together and you can nest the seams perfectly into each other.

Now, about pressing...

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...icles/pressing
Attached Thumbnails untitled-26-.jpg   untitled-27-.jpg   untitled-29-.jpg