Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
trying to plan ahead re: black Friday et al >

trying to plan ahead re: black Friday et al

trying to plan ahead re: black Friday et al

Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 AM

Brutal is probably right. I have never been to a Black Friday at Joanns but I did go to the grand opening of one about 60 miles from me. The line was nice and friendly, but a person could easily have gotten trampled in the mad dash to get the gift card and be the first one in the door.

The Joann's nearest me has tiny aisles, too, especially in the fabric section. I don't remember how many times we got pinned in (no pun intended) because people came down the aisle and were going to prove two buggies could fit side by side. Ain't gonna happen!

We had to take a number to get fabric cut. I think we were like 78 or so on that. So you get a number, putz around and hope they call your number before you decide the hassle isn't worth it. Or, in my case, the a/c really isn't cool enough. I have zero heat tolerance, so if it gets too hot, I get really sick and that isn't pretty.

I guess armor is called for! :lol: I like the idea of getting the "good" batting on sale, but I don't know if I want to fight to get fabric. Then again, I may send Mom to look for the fabric (our tastes are similar for the most part) and I'll go shanghai the batting on a roll!

BTW, someone said they didn't know what "et al" means. It means "and others"; I didn't know if there was a better sale to watch for based on your past experiences. Like the Christmas in July mentioned earlier.

Mom and I are planning to hit the BF sale at Joanns, but I have no intention of sleeping in the parking lot just to get a good space in line. I'm hoping most of the people will be heading for Sams (next door) or Best Buy. Last year, Best Buy had people lining up for the BF sales before midnight on T'giving. Sorry, but there isn't anything I want from Best buy that much.

Thanks for the info and the heads up.
Have a great day!
M&M
Old 07-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by draggin_behind
Brutal is probably right. I have never been to a Black Friday at Joanns but I did go to the grand opening of one about 60 miles from me. The line was nice and friendly, but a person could easily have gotten trampled in the mad dash to get the gift card and be the first one in the door.

Thanks for the info and the heads up.
Have a great day!
M&M
Most years it's not too bad. One sticks out in my mind, though. I stopped on my way to work because they had a Rowenta iron for a great price. I batik caught my eye, so I glanced over to the cutting counter...no one there...whew!! i grabbed the batik and was walking up the the cutting counter when this woman pushed a cartful of flannel (she had two carts) toward the counter that hit me and nearly knocked me over. I was picking up my purse and items off the floor, and this woman got to the counter first. The clerk asked if she minded if she cut mine since I only had the one fabric. I added that I was also on my way to work and didn't want to be late. Her response was "well...you shoulda got her earlier". She was very rude, and intimidated the poor clerk. I resisted the urge to say anything, but secretly wished her permanent, unsolvable tension troubles!!

The trip is worth it for the notions. And, yes...the batting. It really is about the best price they have on those items all year. Good luck to you and your mother this year!