Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: tshirt quilts with all different size pieces.

Question tshirt quilts with all different size pieces.

I found this pattern (sort of) of how to put together a tee shirt quilt that has all different size pieces. I love this idea, but looking at the pattern, I can't figure out how you piece it together and how do you make blocks or strips or however to connect it all together? I haven't done a quilt like this before, only very symmetrical blocks. So I am really confused on how to proceed. I like that the math is already done and I just have to match up cuts to what's there, but is there a tutorial out there to explain the final assembly? Thanks in advance!

http://justblenda.blogspot.com/searc...irt%20Projects

if you look at the very bottom of this screen, you will see the pattern I am looking at. Sorry I couldn't find a more direct link.
    ..)) -::-
    ​.... .))
    ((. .. -::-
    -::- ((.*
    Fabric choice can make all the difference. Be fearless.

I think you have to work with set-in seams. There are lots of tutorials online that show you how, and it's not that hard once you get some experience. Also look at partial seams, slightly different.

I have done a t shirt quilt that had blocks of different sizes. What I did was to put different size/widths of sashings to bring them up to a certain size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would say it is a combination of set in seams and partial seam method. You can google partial seams to find tutes on it. It would have a ton of them. There may be an easier method but you would most likely have to purchase TocoolTshirtsquilts book to get it. I certainly don't see an easy way to do it with that layout.

Like pocoellie, I utilized sashing strips to get my different size blocks to work. I also cut them in sizes evenly divisible by 3 which also helped. Here is mine:
    Name:  DSC03770.JPG
Views: 3985
Size:  569.5 KB

web site

I don't know if the above link is the same person as the book "How to Make a Too Cool T-Shirt Quilt" by Andrea T Funk. My daughter made this quilt for me using the book. There were no set-in or Y seams. She did not use a stabilizer or anything under the shirts. The most time-consuming part was charting it all out--she said once it was charted on graph paper, it went together quickly. She also sewed on patches from various activities I'd been involved in. She quilted an all-over meander on it.
    Name:  IMG_0318.jpg
Views: 3852
Size:  723.0 KB
    This is my favoritest quilt ever. It depicts my life over the last 40 years.

That would be really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
    I have done a t shirt quilt that had blocks of different sizes. What I did was to put different size/widths of sashings to bring them up to a certain size.
    That's what I did, too. I placed the t-shirts where I thought they would look balanced then I filled in spaces with sashing and with small blocks (pinwheels, flying geese, four patch, etc.).
    One step at a time, always forward.

Thank you, I love the sashing idea. I especially love the drop shadow on feline fanatic's. Thanks, I have not done partial seams or set in seams, so I have some learning to do. Thank you for the insights.
    ..)) -::-
    ​.... .))
    ((. .. -::-
    -::- ((.*
    Fabric choice can make all the difference. Be fearless.

Felinefanatic
    I love this quilt! Did you make that pattern yourself? Is it available. How did you do the shadow effect? Thanks
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by marand View Post
    Felinefanatic
    I love this quilt! Did you make that pattern yourself? Is it available. How did you do the shadow effect? Thanks
    MA
    I agree. I have seen a lot of t-shirt quilts but NOTHING as STUNNING as yours Felinefanatic. It was absolutely stunning !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort