Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tube Quilting Question

Tube Quilting Question

Is there a limit to the number of strips you may sew into a tube? I have 28 2-inch strips that I would like to sew into a tube. This would give me 14 strips to cut. Has anyone used this many strips or even more while tube quilting?

I have no idea but, I too would like to know. Someone will be along shortly to answer your question.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Not a clue...never heard of tube quilting. I've made tubes to cut with Cozy tube rulers and it's based on size of ruler you are using to determine how many strips to tube together. But, I don't think that is your question. I'm interested in answer too.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Effectively is that not what you do when you make a bargello quilt?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Effectively is that not what you do when you make a bargello quilt?
    That's what I was thinking.

This is also the method for making Trip Around the World. It is important to sew seams carefully, press carefully, and always keep the tube lined up squarely with the markings on the cutting mat. You need a measure of patience to do this with ltubes that have a large number of strips.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    This is also the method for making Trip Around the World. It is important to sew seams carefully, press carefully, and always keep the tube lined up squarely with the markings on the cutting mat. You need a measure of patience to do this with ltubes that have a large number of strips.
    Thank you, quilterpurpledog! I am just sewing the strips together now so will be careful. Here is the pattern I am using only there are 42 blocks on mine. I'm using the tube method to make the 1 1/2 inch squares.
    Name:  Log Cabin lg sq quilt.jpeg
Views: 1133
Size:  342.6 KB

What is this tube method you speak of?

Good Youtube or tutorial link?

Watson

The wedge will be 14 inch. This is strip tube quilting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWSp0mTTqE

Cozy Quilt sells the ruler which make cutting the wedge simple. But you don't need it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    The wedge will be 14 inch. This is strip tube quilting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWSp0mTTqE

Cozy Quilt sells the ruler which make cutting the wedge simple. But you don't need it.
    Just watched Jenny video-she makes a mistake in size of strip and companion fab strip....make sure you read comments!

I think sewing your strips 2 or 4 strips first, then joining those, so you don't get test wavy possibility, would be safer. And, I think the only thing that would hinder you cutting into tubes would be the length of your ruler-if I'm understanding your question.

I used the tube method to make a bargello wall hanging using 12 strips at a workshop. I found lining up the seams on the tube to be a right old pain in the you-know-what. I pinned mine to make sure the strips didn't shift when cutting; but if I was making one again, I would use smaller strip sets and join in the end, it would be quicker. Many of the others in the workshop gave up and switched to strip set.

I have sewn about 20 strips, 4" wide, side by side into a tube, pressed seams (which is easier with a larger tube), and cut slices with the cutting board inside the tube so I was only cutting one layer at a time. They came out satisfactory that way.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

[QUOTE=quilting cat;7989387]I have sewn about 20 strips, 4" wide, side by side into a tube, pressed seams (which is easier with a larger tube), and cut slices with the cutting board inside the tube so I was only cutting one layer at a time. They came out satisfactory that way.[/QUOTE)

great tip! - better accuracy that way!
    Last edited by Geri B; 01-25-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    I think that the only thing that would limit you is the size of your cutting mat. You need to be able to cut strip evenly (I assume you are making a bargello).

Are you referring to sewing a strata? then cutting wedges or strips from that?
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    I made a Queen TAW using Eleanor Burns QID pattern. I made tubes with many strips. Be careful sewing your strips, press as you go, and if you must fold your tube to make cutting it easier, nest the seams between each other as you line it up, and cut. Do not try to hurry this, you will make the mistake I did the first time, and have to sew small pieces to replace the strip you cut wrong.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

The other trick so you don't have a bend in the middle is to sew from different ends. For example when you see your first two strips together, start your third strip at the end of your first two, the sew your fourth one at the end of your third one. Does this make sense?

i have sewn forty strips together and did it this way and didn't have the bowing in the middle.

Blog Entries
    It is a very pretty quilt. If you are referring to the inside of the quilt as your 1-1/2" squares, there are only sets of 6 and 5 squares. I don't think you would need to sew all 28 together in one set. If you make 2 sets of 5, and 4 sets of 6, you will fully utilize your 28 sets, or different fabrics (if that is what it is). As the each "elbow" in the quilt has a set of 6 and of 5, you'll need to remove one square off one of your sets of 6 to get your even sets.

What is this pattern? Love it!

Thank you everyone. Appreciate your input. I did sew the 28 strips together and then "tubed" them. That way I could separate them at different spots to make a more variegated look.

IowaStitcher! I do not know the name of this pattern but if you look closely, it is just another log cabin design. Large square with strips added. I did use white as shown on this quilt and I cut the outer two pieces 1/8" wider so that it will be easier to square up at the end.