Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tube quilting

I have watched this on u tube. I cut fabric using a regular ruler with a 45 degree angle. My problem is that every triangle I cut comes out to be a different size. What am I doing wrong? Or can someone help me? Thank you.

Are you measuring right? Check the lines on your ruler to make sure you are susing the same one each time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Are you measuring right? Check the lines on your ruler to make sure you are susing the same one each time.
    Yes...that's the only way they can come out wrong. Try putting strips of blue painter's tape on the ruler so you can't miss the correct line. Works for me when I am cutting out complicated pieces!!

You put the 45 degree line on the seam line and the point of the ruler on the corner of the fabric, right?

I seem to have the same problem....I slip around when I am rolling the rotary cutter against the ruler on the fabric.

Some thoughts ...
    * are your seams all sewn evenly, thus making your tubes equally wide?
    * is your ruler slip sliding around?

You've been given some good hints above.

Have you watched the Missouri Star videos? You might pick up some extra hints there.

I have the same problem and I have tried to watch the video and I get so frustrated because it keeps stopping. They always make it look so easy.

Blog Entries
    Are you putting the ruler line on the seam line or the edge of the fabric? That makes a difference if you mix them up. I don't use a triangle ruler I use a square ruler, much easier and you can't mess up the measurement.

I too found it frustrating - what started as "Summer in the Park" turned into "my creative design". Alot of really nice tips - books marked Forever!

Blog Entries
    When you decide which line you want to use, mark it with some blue painters tape.

Blog Entries
    Are your seams straight ? That was why my came out in different sizes. :oops:

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm in the process of trying this method for the first time...I'll let you know how it works for me! LOL....praying that it does work (and for straight seams and steady cutting hands!) :)

Last question/suggestion... when you cut and bring the fabric to the ironing board, are you pressing or ironing? Did you use steam? DId you use spray starch on the fabric to begin with? When you iron/iron with steam, you tend to distort the fabrics which may be why the sizes are different.

Just make sure the bottom edge of the ruler meets the seem then they all will be the same.

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3k85E3lzfU
    if you continue to have trouble with your ruler moving, just mark your fabric using the ruler then cut them out with scissors. the old fashioned way. one day you will do fine with the ruler, but for now do something that works.

I made a "Summer in the Park" quilt too and had the same problem. I discovered I needed to press the strip sets as well as possible and starch them before I cut the triangles - that was also the moment I discovered the joys of homemade starch - so that the triangles would end up all the same size. It worked, thank goodness!

Jim
    USE lots of starch...it doesn't allow your fabric as you said "to Wiggle"...I finished this quilt, it's now waiting for my wife to quilt it..I'll post pics soon as its quilted...I think it's gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Yes...that's the only way they can come out wrong. Try putting strips of blue painter's tape on the ruler so you can't miss the correct line. Works for me when I am cutting out complicated pieces!!
    Yes, this is what I did with my square up ruler--turned on corner and added masking tape since I didn't have a triangle ruler at that time. (Have one now)

Vat
    Starch your fabric before you start cutting will realy help stablize the fabric, cutting and piecing. I use Sat-Flo, I get it at WalMart and mix it half and half with water. Pour into a spray bottle. Spray damp fabric and iron dry. I think you will like the results. I do this for all my projects.

Vat
    Starch your fabric before you start cutting will realy help stablize the fabric, cutting and piecing. I use Sat-Flo, I get it at WalMart and mix it half and half with water. Pour into a spray bottle. Spray damp fabric and iron dry. I think you will like the results. I do this for all my projects.

I am amazed how helpful and kind all the quilters are on this site!!!!!!!!!!!
    God bless you all!!!!!!!!

All these suggestions are good. I didn't use starch, but did use a square. Aligned opposite points on the seam and cut. I did put "The Steady Betty" (little adhesive anti-slip pieces) to the back of all my rulers. Also put a new blade in the rotary cutter. I didn't have any problems. I've attached a picture so you can see. I had a half of a Bali pop, so I added strips of white. This is just a large lap quilt. Still need to add boarders.

Summer in the Park
    Name:  Attachment-242607.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  148.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ssnare
    I have watched this on u tube. I cut fabric using a regular ruler with a 45 degree angle. My problem is that every triangle I cut comes out to be a different size. What am I doing wrong? Or can someone help me? Thank you.
    I guess I chickened out and bought the ruler. Makes it easy. Ann

This is a pretty quilt. Thank you all for your help. It is the Missouri sewing that I have watched on u tube. What do you mean when you say, "Aligned opposite points on the seam and cut."? I use a square ruler too. And the only angle that is marked on the ruler is a 45 degree angle.

Quote Originally Posted by dallen4350
    All these suggestions are good. I didn't use starch, but did use a square. Aligned opposite points on the seam and cut. I did put "The Steady Betty" (little adhesive anti-slip pieces) to the back of all my rulers. Also put a new blade in the rotary cutter. I didn't have any problems. I've attached a picture so you can see. I had a half of a Bali pop, so I added strips of white. This is just a large lap quilt. Still need to add boarders.

What ruler do I need to buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by krafty14
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnare
    I guess I chickened out and bought the ruler. Makes it easy. Ann

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast