Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt >

Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt

Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt

Old 03-27-2014, 07:16 AM

Default Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt

I am going to a quilt retreat and they project is the Tula Pink Quilt Butterfly quilt. I am anxious to learn all the blocks, but I don't want to put them in the butterfly shape. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this or have an alternate pattern. I would like to use some civil war fabrics. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I think now is the time to invest in a design wall if you don't have one! I would get a bit extra fabric in the prints, make the butterfly blocks, then arrange them on your design wall. You probably will discard some of the blocks because they don't work with your new placement, but you can incorporate them in the backing. You will probably also need duplicates of some of the other blocks, so this is where your additional fabric would come in.
Another option would be use some of the additional print fabric to add a border to the smaller blocks, since the blocks are different sizes. This would to make them all the same size and may be easier to work with.
You can also just set all the blocks on point and use a neutral sashing.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 03-27-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:50 AM

I've been pondering your question because I'm just starting to do some of her blocks (but not the butterfly quilt). The only thing I can come up with is to go and do the blocks. Then, if you can, bring them home and do what PaperPrincess says. Use a design wall and make your own design using the blocks and some sashings and/or plain blocks. Or perhaps you can take the design wall with you when you go and work on it there. As for a design, it's a matter of personal preference. For me, I'd probably do something more circular or spiral-y. Tula's blocks incorporate all kinds of prints so I think your civil war fabrics should work just fine. Have fun creating your own quilt!