Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tulip Star help >

Tulip Star help

Tulip Star help

Old 11-21-2013, 06:00 AM
dd

Smile Tulip Star help

Has anyone made the Tulip Star pattern by Animas Quilts? It calls for the Tri-Recs 'Recs' ruler and I don't have one. I'm to cut a 4 1/2" strip WOF, did that. Now I need to cut 8 right facing half rectangles and 8 left facing half rectangles (triangles) with a Tri-Recs. Without the ruler I'm not sure how large to cut them. Thought about sewing most of it together to see what size rectangle I'm going to need. I really don't like it when they insist that you buy their ruler in order to use their pattern. While it may make things easier in the long run, I really can't afford another ruler right now. Any ideas? Anyone own a Tri-Recs and can tell me what the angle is? Appreciate any help here.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

This is one case where you might want to consider buying the ruler. The angle for this is something weird like 53.5 degrees. The ruler is available at JoAnns & you can use your coupon. Another way to make this patch is to paper piece it. The squared triangle patch is used in a lot of patterns, such as 54-40, Tennessee waltz. I've used mine a lot.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Me being me of course, I would vote for purchasing the ruler for sure or paper piece the section of the star.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 AM

I see there are a few you tube videos showing how to use them, just googled "how to use a tri-recs recs ruler". Maybe watch them and that will give you an understanding of the way they are used. I just looked at your pattern, it is beautiful.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447977[/ATTACH]
I agree with PaperPrincess. Go ahead and buy the ruler. Not only can you make triangle-in-a-square blocks (which is how I think of them), but you can do neat diamond-in-a-rectangle blocks, like the border on this quilt.
Attached Thumbnails coffee-n-cream.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Oh my, that's pretty! Be sure to show us your progress! PP would be my choice!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I hate having to buy a ruler for this and that but then I think about how often I just might use it and if you can get a coupon go for it. If you're going to be doing a lot of quilting or do quilt a lot and that pattern is something you really want to make then just splurge. Ask DH for an advance on C-Mas money. With this ruler, you maybe the only one with signature quilts. I've never seen this pattern before and it would be worth the money. I do see and hear of many who use the ruler for different quilts because of the diversity or it.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 AM
dd

Thanks for all your advise. You almost have me talked into buying it. But...I just heard back from Animas Quilts and she is going to send me a paper pattern on Sunday when she returns home. So after using the paper template, I may decide to go ahead and buy the ruler. This is a Christmas present for my mom but it's not like I don't have anything else to work on until I get the paper template. It's going on a round table she has in the living room in front of the picture window with an old fashioned lamp on it. I'm leaving off that outside flowered border so it will be the points hanging down around the table. I'm doing the pink version with yellow center in the flowers but no yellow in the star. I will try to post a picture but my camera is new and the computer is old and they don't play well together.lol Thanks again.