Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turning antique embroidery into an heirloom quilt -- help! >

Turning antique embroidery into an heirloom quilt -- help!

Turning antique embroidery into an heirloom quilt -- help!

Old 06-14-2019, 04:34 PM

Question Turning antique embroidery into an heirloom quilt -- help!

I have inherited quite a few linens with beautiful embroidery, crochet, tatting, and cutwork. Most are stained and a few have moth holes. I would like to rescue the good places and turn them into a quilt. I have never quilted before, although I have done a lot of sewing in past years. I may try to piece the top myself, or I may design it and try to find an experienced quilter. My question is whether I can back a piece with heavier fabric if the original material is very thin or has crochet or cutwork which would need something behind the "holey" parts. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:47 PM

It's funny that you posted this now. I also was given some vintage linens just this last week.
Here is what I found:

Cindy Needham does beautiful work with them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo6ST1_R2VY

and Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD-4au8tZ_A

and Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q63cyQj1Mp0

She also has/had a class on craftsy. Now bluprint.

Also, youtube has lots of interesting videos:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...vintage+linens

Welcome to the board!

Last edited by mindless; 06-14-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:57 PM

I’m looking to do a similar project and have found some good ideas on Pinterest.
Haven’t found the courage to take the scissors to the fabrics yet though!
Old 06-15-2019, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

texasmary- there is a product called Retro-Clean that is a fantastic product used to take out old stains. I've used it for years and have had great results. It has never ruined anything I soaked it in.
Amazon has it, among other places.
I've used it on linens, quilts, and any old things like that.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:15 AM

Welcome, Mary. I think that one thing you have to keep in mind before using vintage linens in a quilt is how much you plan to use the quilt. Vintage linens aren't going to stand up to too many repeated washings. If you can live with that, then there are some beautiful quilts made from vintage linens.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:41 AM

This is an interesting topic. My question is, how would I secure a doilie or hanky to a background piece of fabric? A fusible of some kind, I suspect but which one?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
This is an interesting topic. My question is, how would I secure a doilie or hanky to a background piece of fabric? A fusible of some kind, I suspect but which one?
I have seen the doilies & hankies used as free floating skirts on Gals, kind of similar to Sunbonnet Sue. I would use a very thin thread, think 100 weight, and make some stay stitching lines or just quilt the crochet, tatted work or hanky down.

I googled "Using doiles to quilt with" The ideas are endless.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I made a few small pieces into a table topper. My mom had made them and I wanted to preserve them for prosperity. I used a light weight woven fusible onto the back of mine and cut them into quilt blocks. I set them with sashing and then I quilted the piece to enhance and stabilize the piece to unify the pieces as a whole. It is cute and fun to pull out to use. If you go to the Pellon site, the different weights and uses are explained. Even some free projects were available the last time I was there.

I have also made small projects and sewing totes with the individual embroideries that are set into fabric. Hand sewing sets, machine dust covers, little organizer zipper bags for your purse, storage bags for your closet and sewing room are just a few of the things I have made them into. In other words, if you need an organizational item and an embroidery that is the right size, go for it. It is very fun and enjoyable to use.

I turned a larger hand-made tapestry into a picture for my sewing room by making very small log cabin blocks, melding them with the piece and framing the whole to hang it up.

Many embroidery magazines have projects that might work for your pieces. You could maybe check the library for books or magazines for inspiration.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 06-15-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I guess what I am trying to say is, it doesn't have to be a quilt. Small remembrances are just as fun to make and keep your inherited items.
Here is a picture of my sewing room framed picture.
Attached Thumbnails p1010604-640x480-.jpg  
Old 06-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Another option ... layer over a piece of fabric, and let your quilting (later) hold the two together.
A coloured fabric behind, can show nicely through the cutwork of the antique fabrics.

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I guess what I am trying to say is, it doesn't have to be a quilt. Small remembrances are just as fun to make and keep your inherited items.
Here is a picture of my sewing room framed picture.
Nicely done!
I've done similar. Rather than framing, finished them off as mini-quilt wall hangings.

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-15-2019 at 10:06 AM.