Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
twisted binding >

twisted binding

twisted binding

Old 05-14-2011, 07:56 PM

I hand quilt with a group of my rural neighbors. I don't know how I get so lucky, but I always end up with the task of binding the quilts. The last one I completed, the binding twisted in several places. It was 2.25 " wide and made up of numerous links of fabric. I machine stitched and then hand finished the back side. I would appreciate any advise on how this problem can be avoided in the future? I have learned so much from this board. Thanks to all of you.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Starching the fabric heavily before cutting into strips helps prevent twisting. If you get the binding already in strip form, heavily starching it at that point would be second best and still help a lot. The problem is usually that the binding distorts while you are sewing it on with the machine. Heavy starching stabilizes the fabric and prevents that kind of distortion.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Not quite sure what you mean by twisted. Should be cut on the straight of the grain. I usually cut my bindings along the selvedges, but it sounds like you have gotten several lengths of fabric sewn together. Perhaps they were bias or off grain. Hope this helps. Happy quilting.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:25 PM

I think prism99 gave you an excellent suggestion. I will have to remember that myself.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 PM

Sounds like maybe when the binding was folded over and ironed, one side was stretched or pulled too much. Then it got sewn to the top that way.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 PM
MTS
Banned

I don't know if I really understand where the binding "twisted" on the quilt.

Regardless, the best advice I can give you is to watch these videos by Sharon Schamber :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc
There are 3 parts.

She's really thought through each and every issue.
Even if decide not to follow all of her steps, at least you'll understand why she does it the way she does, and what problems she's preventing and avoiding with her methods.

I'm positive you will find the answer to your problem somewhere in there. ;-)

And yes to starch. Always, always a big yes to starch. And more starch.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 PM

Besides the starching, I got in the habit of basting the folded binding in half so I couldn't accidentally cause it to twist because I don't pin, but rather use small "v" clips to match.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 PM

It sounds like what I call wonky. Like it got kinda uneven which results in diagonal wrinkles along the binding. This has happened to me when doing stockings. What I did was lay the stocking on the floor and carefully fold the binding over a little at a time, pinning religiously.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:15 AM

I machine stitch the binding on. (Front side of the quilt)..than iron the binding when its on the quilt, flip it over (backside)...and the use Elmers stick glue - just a little...then iron it so it stays..I do the entire binding...then I flip it over to the good side of the quilt (front) and I stictch in the ditch. - It comes out GREAT - you can use elmers stick glue for hand quilting too...it washes out in the washing machine....and when you do use it...you can not see it.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Great tips.
I love the idea of hand quilting with a group!! Must be fun :D