Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Twister Block - Can I just make up a pattern?

Twister Block - Can I just make up a pattern?

I'm thinking about getting a twister block to make a quilt and I am wondering if it is that hard to make up a pattern.

It seems that as long as you can put together an image with the right size blocks you could then just cut it out with the twister block right?

For those that have made a twister quilt does this seem doable? Are they that hard? I'm at an intermediate level for quilting...

You have to start with squares sewn together to be able to cut the twister block. Sew the image you want, created by sewing squares together. The squares are different sizes for the different size Twister ruler. I think if you make one from a pattern you will know exactly what to do to make your own design.
    I love my life!

I love twisters, but they play with my brain! I do love seeing when someone has sewn all of the squares together, then once it is cut, and sewn back together. That helps me a lot.

When it is just the final sewn together quilt my brain can't figure out what was sewn to what to create the end result!
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

Power Poster
    You can make a twister ruler out of any square acrylic ruler but the Twister tool works better. It has little feet on the corners that help to keep the tool level over the intersections of the squares sewn together.

Here's how to make your own template:
    http://yarn-or-fabric.weebly.com/how...-template.html

And here's a good tutorial how to cut them out & put them back together:
    http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com...lt-part-1.aspx

There are twister books out there that will help you with designing your own. I did the Christmas tree quilt and it took me a while after they were cut to turn them the right direction. Which I thought was going to be very basic and easy but once I started it drove me crazy. It made me feel much better when Jenny Beyer said she had to lay them out and sew them line by line so not to get lost in the design.

Good luck with your plans, be sure to post pictures.

ya know I think I'm going to go for it. I saw a pattern I liked (the Rudolph twister) but don't like buying patterns online - I like to have a paper copy. I will pick up a template this week and start collecting fabrics...

Thanks everyone!

Blog Entries
    It is relatively easy to design your own twisterquilt design. When I first acquired my 3.5 inch template, I created my own heart design. It was easy and fun.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    Here's how to make your own template:
    http://yarn-or-fabric.weebly.com/how...-template.html

And here's a good tutorial how to cut them out & put them back together:
    http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com...lt-part-1.aspx
    If you're like me it's better to have Lowe's or any glass shop cut templates for you-they will do this either free or close to free with purchase.. Our local glass shop cut me 10 templates from a scrap piece they sell and it only cost me $3 for the plex and a $1 for all the cuts. Best $4 I spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
    If you're like me it's better to have Lowe's or any glass shop cut templates for you-they will do this either free or close to free with purchase.. Our local glass shop cut me 10 templates from a scrap piece they sell and it only cost me $3 for the plex and a $1 for all the cuts. Best $4 I spent.

Oh, oh, how I wish I lived near you...our "local" glass shop cut one template for me-once- and cost more than if I had bought a template.........I'll have to try Lowes...I think they're still around here someplace......if I need another cut..

I like the look of twisters, but they are tricky...I can't imagine making your own pattern...it takes on a different look when recut with that twister template. I need a pattern for that one. Have fun..

It's very doable at your level. I did my first as a beginner in the quilting world. I suggest you read the tutorials that are online for twisters and maybe try one. Why does it have to be a pattern you design?

Buy the Twister ruler. It's not that expensive. You'll be less frustrated.
    I love my life!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The templates aren't that expensive and JoAnn's has them. By the time you buy the acrylic/plastic and have someone cut them. MSQC can send you an order. I believe Wmart has them also. Even some of the local quilt shops have them. You can always call and ask. And the lines to line up are already on the template.

I agree to just buy the template. You might just avoid some confusion & aggravation. That is what I would do anyways. I have the template but I haven't used it yet so I can't comment on making a block but what I have seen online it doesn't look difficult. Good luck & have fun with it

Oh I wasn't planning on making the template! I wouldn't even know where to begin with that. lol I live in Ontario and none of the quilt stores carry the ruler...I'll have to order it online and will.

I meant more of the actual pattern for the quilt. ie Rudolph or a tree or a 4 leaf clover etc

Thanks for all the replies! I am going to go for it

I'm presently making a shamrock twister. I drew the pattern on graph paper. Love to make twisters, you just have to pay close attention to what you're doing.

JDP
    Good Luck with it! It would give me nightmares!

Blog Entries
    Somewhere on the internet I found instructions to make your own. I think it was 11/2" from corners but can't remember rest or where I found it. I did buy the template eventually as it was difficult to make a template myself at home which remained perfect for the large number of cuts I was doing. Cardboard or template plastic not strong enough for all those cuts. Once you make one you soon make a second so the template is used.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you use graph paper and figure out all the colors and where they go before hand it is not hard. I made my first twister following a pattern. The next twister I made on my own.
    They are a lot of fun to do. Just go slow and keep checking your graph.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain