Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
two different qayg methods-which is better? >

two different qayg methods-which is better?

two different qayg methods-which is better?

Old 10-18-2014, 06:39 PM

I guess I did the ditters's method. I recently made a Linus quilt and did QAYG and I was amazed at how easy it was and when I put the last row together, I was finished except for the binding!!! The quilting was easy because I just used whatever pattern was in the block to make the quilt pattern; like, moon (circles), stars (stars), wavy lines (wavy lines), planets with rings (circle with rings). Hope that makes sense. I will try to post a picture on the pictures thread.
I really like QAYG method. I had a whole set of Georgia Bonesteel books but after reading them and not have room for all the books I have, I took them to the Guild for the freebie table.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by kindleaddict63 View Post
a method which basically kept the backing whole but allowed you to quilt a row of the quilt to the backing (with batting of course) then you sewed the next row to the previous row to the top of the quilt -add strip of batting then quilt it - and so on until you had it completed.
I have done this method but instead of a one-piece backing, I put backing strips on at the same time as the next top row, fold both strips down, add a strip of batting between them, quilt, and repeat with the next row. It works for me but I only stitch in the ditch or some type of straight line design for the quilting. Working your way down the quilt this way makes it easier, but you are still wrestling with the whole quilt at the bottom. I could never get the sashing or the blocks to match up when trying the strip joining method. So I started just adding row by row and it works better for me. I also use washable glue on both sides of batting strip to keep the strip of batting solidly in place between the two folded down top and backing rows so I can quilt the row without things shifting around.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:57 AM

http://quilting.wonderhowto.com/how-...achine-423636/
This looks easy and NO strips to sew in between each block, line up front and sew right sided together, no stip, turn over and trim batting and fold larger size backing one straight overlapping where batting meets, then fold other side over and fold edge under and sew by machine.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:54 AM

Has anyone seen or tried Nancy Zieman's Column Quilts. I bought the 1st book but haven't tried it yet. Seems like you could use it on almost any quilt
Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
http://quilting.wonderhowto.com/how-...achine-423636/
This looks easy and NO strips to sew in between each block, line up front and sew right sided together, no stip, turn over and trim batting and fold larger size backing one straight overlapping where batting meets, then fold other side over and fold edge under and sew by machine.
thanks! Off to check it out.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:34 AM

I have not used the "sashing methods", but have used Georgia Bonsteel's methods. Pretty quick and easy to do and no extra sashing. Don't know how to post a link yet but it's on you tube.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:34 PM

So many ideas.... this is what makes this board such a great place.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:07 PM

I've quilted in 4 sections and hand stitched the backing to the top. No sashes were used either front or back. I used the front was pieced and the back was whole. If you are interested in this method I'll find the site I learned from and give it to you. I was very happy with the results.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM

If you google "How to Quilt in Sections without Sashing" it will bring up a site Venus de Hilo. There is a wonderful step by step tutorial by Stephanie Serrano explaining her way of quilting in sections. This is the one I used and found it to work wonderfully.