Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: TWO exhausting days, but good reward

Blog Entries

TWO exhausting days, but good reward

When we visited the US this spring, I had a golden opportunity to help two grandchildren (ages 8 and 5) to learn a bit about sewing and piecing a quilt.

Whew! What a job to keep their little fingers out from under the needle and their feet (all four) off the foot feed so they would not get my finger! We struggled, but managed to take turns with the one machine available. Their mother had a bag of scraps from her first quilt and I had a few scraps from one I had just finished. Those fabrics provided the motivation for the two kids to make something real while they practiced using the machine. The end product was purely their own invention--a motivation in itself.

Have any of you tried teaching little people to sew? What was your experience?
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Blog Entries
    I forgot to show you what they did.

Midway of the project they decided to make a quilt for a new girl cousin, but most of their fabric choices were from deep blues. They suddenly decided to add a piece of pink to make sure the new baby girl was not "angry" about a blue quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

That is so sweet!! sounds like you had a good time and the new baby will love her quilt that her cousins made for her!

No one can think outside the box like little children can! Aren't they just delightful. No matter what we try to teach them, they teach us more I think. How very thoughtful of them to worry about the sensitivity of the new girl cousin. You must be so very proud. A good job very well done, grandma.

No experience since my oldest Granddaughter was small. She didn't use the sewing machine. She made a skirt by gluing it together and a pair of flip flops. Flip flops didn't hold up very well but the skirt did. I finally threw it away, I should have saved it longer to show to her now, she is 25 and would have got a good laugh at her efforts. I have her and a 18, soon to be 19 year old and neither have any interest in sewing.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I am teaching my 7 and 9 year old granddaughters while they are here this week. It's so rewarding watching them put blocks together. Gives me ample opportunity to practice my "patience" skills too!