Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Two Fat Quarters vs . . .

Two Fat Quarters vs . . .

. . . a half yard. Same amount or one more?

There are the same number of square inches of fabric in 2 fat quarters as there are in a 1/2 yard.

bkay

Power Poster
    ​It should be the same amount but if you need WOF, go with the 1/2 yd.

Banned
    My LQS charges $3.50 for a FQ. Since the yardage may be as low as $7.99yd, I always check to see which will be cheaper.

Cari

bj
    It’s the same yardage, but sometimes you get more cuts from the wof half yard.
    If I'm too busy to quilt, something else has to go.

Thank you Everyone!

depends on what you want to use it for..... But I agree that FQs can sometimes be way overpriced compared to WOF.... I only buy them on sale now. I used to go to a LQS in Houston that would have sales of FQs twice a year and it was worth it to build a stash....now not so much with the cost...

I never buy fat quarters or any precuts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My friend gave me a great idea, when traveling and you get to visit a Fabric store, buy an "I Spy" fat quarter.
    You help patronize the store and you get to build your I Spy stash!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I never buy fat quarters or any precuts.
    I'm curious....why don't you buy precuts or FQ?
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    I like 2 fat qtr vs 2/4 yards, because they are different. I live variety and scrappy.

I don't like FQs. I'd much rather have the WOF. Just find it more versatile to use. I always look at the FQ and think--well, this isn't enough to do anything with!

Blog Entries
    Fat Quarters are very often more expensive than buying fabric (if you watch sales). Also, you get limited to sizes and shapes. I find I can usually get a lot more bang for my buck from WOF. Exception is when they are having huge sale (right now the 2 for $2 at Joanns), I will buy a few of the truly odd colors that I rarely use (oranges) or a strange print that I may use for a small focus piece for my wreaths. I used to pick up the occasional jelly roll or honey bun, but I have found they are often not cut precisely and they fray so very much. I bought the strip ruler and am very pleased with it. I will admit that the honey buns in black and in white were very handy.

I buy fat quarters because I hand applique and need a variety of fabrics. They are usually more expensive than by the yard.

I love FQ's. I am a Jo Morton, Kathy Tracy fan and use them often.

Blog Entries
    I love FQ because it gives me a variety of fabrics when I do paper piecing. Beside, a friend gave me five plastic containers of them. She made doll clothes so used a lot of small print fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    I'm curious....why don't you buy precuts or FQ?
    As others stated it's usually a better price to buy from the bolt and I can get wof strips when needed. Even when I only want a small amount I'll often get the 1/2 yd rather than a FQ...more bang for my buck. I don't generally buy precuts because I'm a prewasher. Anything smaller than a FQ is a pain to prewash. Iv'e also found precuts there's not enough of the couple of fabrics that catch my eye, I'd rather buy yardage of what I like most.

Like anything else, it all depends on what your preferences are and what you are trying to accomplish. There's no right or wrong.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Since 2 fat quarters are simply a 1/2 yard cut at the fold they are equal. You just can’t cut 42” strips from a fat quarter, you get (2) 21” strips.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have bought a package of fat quarters when I want to make something specific - i.e.: a Turning 20. Otherwise, I would rather buy 1/3 or 1/2 yard. I found that when I buy just a 1/4 yard sometimes the person cutting is not very good at cutting and one end is not the full 9 inches, the 1/3 yard is 12 inches and I can do more with that than 9 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I have bought a package of fat quarters when I want to make something specific - i.e.: a Turning 20. Otherwise, I would rather buy 1/3 or 1/2 yard. I found that when I buy just a 1/4 yard sometimes the person cutting is not very good at cutting and one end is not the full 9 inches, the 1/3 yard is 12 inches and I can do more with that than 9 inches.
    That's a good idea about buying 1/3...I'll have to keep that in mind
    Sue

I think they are the same and I use both. I like yardage but also like fat quarters for variety.

If you know what pattern you will be making you need to check your cutting instruction. 1/4 yard is 9X40 and fat quarter is 18X20.

I watch the prices, too. If FQ's are much more that 1/4 yd wof, why pay the extra? I often fold the 1/4 yd cuts to the same size as FQ's and store them together (by color), since most patterns work just as well with either shape.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!