Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two QAYG techniques I worked on >

Two QAYG techniques I worked on

Two QAYG techniques I worked on

Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Default Two QAYG techniques I worked on

These are leftover blocks and other scraps I had around. I used Board Member K3n's tutorial on how to put them together with no hand sewing. That is why there are the sashings on the back. I used Elmer's Washable School Glue instead of the steam a seam, but she suggested that in the tutorial too. After I did that, I decided to put borders on, so there was another technique I found where you sew the two borders on and then butt the batting up against the seam line and zig zag. And then quilt the borders. That turned out to be easy and really and truly, there is no extra bulk in the seam, because it is butted up and not overlapped. Any zig zag will do. I used scraps, three different kinds of cotton batting, warm and natural, warm and white, and then some other kind I had here which I guess I had washed because it felt different. I used that on the borders. But, once it was put together it all feels the same.

I still need practice on the free motion motifs in the green squares. Not so great moving around marked lines. The meandering in the borders went very well. I'm comfortable with that. I sewed the binding to the back and then machine stitched on the front with my electric vintage 66. No walking foot. I just loosened the presser foot pressure and didn't need it. I also need practice in lining up the sashings on the back so that the stitch lines are kind of equal. As it is, some of them are narrower than others, although they are fine on the front.

I had an interesting time with these techniques. And now I have yet another batch of scraps to deal with. Scraps do have a tendency to multiply, don't they?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ng-t36303.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...y-t223849.html
Attached Thumbnails phppcgrgwpm.jpg   php7yb3qmpm.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 01:00 PM

Well, you put your scraps to good use! And they turned out so cute. I have never tried QAYG, but it looks like a fun experiment.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:29 PM

Very pretty quilt & thanks for all the information on it. You did a great job! Haven't tried QAYG either, but want to soon.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

I have not tried this yet, yours looks wonderful.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:31 AM

Hmmm, I wouldn't be too picky - this is a really nice little hanging or table cloth! One thing you could do with that light fabric showing is to use a pink sharpie, shade it and blend it. You'll never know it's different then. If you don't have the perfect colour, go a little darker and for some reason it juts doesn't show up - makes it more like a shadow.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty. I too have made a couple QAYG different ways. I find they take more batting and backing and more time. The last one was so I could use up some scrap batting, I did use more backing though.
Yes, I find scraps multiply very fast. I always have scraps after making a scrap quilt.