Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying a quilt >

Tying a quilt

Tying a quilt

Old 03-02-2020, 02:32 AM

Default Tying a quilt

What type of "thread" to use for tying quits? Any good methods to tie quilts?.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:22 AM

I have never done it myself, but there is a good video by Jordan Fabrics that shows how to tie a quilt.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F4bLCfIFT5s
Old 03-02-2020, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by seazteddy View Post
What type of "thread" to use for tying quits? Any good methods to tie quilts?.
I have used pearl cotton...which is basically embroidery thread only a bit thicker....I have also used embroidery thread but used multiple stands of it, and I have used yarn....the ladies at my church quilting group like the sports or sock weight yarns the best because they are easier to pull through the quilt sandwich....when using yarn, we use two strands of it and tie it with a couple of knots and then clip them about 1 1/2 inches long.....I like to use a fairly long length of yarn, and I use a curved needle as I find it easier for me to get it all the way through and then back up to the top again making the holes about a 1/4 inch or so apart......we general keep the ties about a spread out hands width apart....I will make as many ties as I can with my needle and yarn, not cutting or tying, as I can....then I go back and start clipping....pulling the extra to the next tie as I go....once I have made all the clips....I go back and tie them all....this seems faster to me.....then thread up some more yarn and off I go again....
Old 03-02-2020, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

A non cotton thread doesn’t stay knotted as well and if it is too thick, it is harder to get through the fabric. I like to tie about every 4 inches and the Jordon Fabric video is a good one.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:23 AM

I've always used embroidery floss. When I tie, I tie every 4", after that is done, I "offset" the ruler and start again at 4" but it's in between the first 4". I hope I explained that enough to understand. I just like the look of it better than what is normally done.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I helped my elderly aunt tie a quilt once and she insisted on using worsted weight yarn... I definitely do not recomment this... It's so difficult to sew it through the layers of the quilt. It did turn out pretty, though.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

When I first started quilted I tied a few and used perle cotton. They held up really well.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:56 AM

I have only tied one quilt and I used DMC thread. I still have a couple of quilts my grandmother tied and she used yarn and they are still holding up.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I use yarn. used embroidery thread once and the knots started coming apart after my husband sat on the bed night after night. i have no idea why, but removed them all and did yarn. it's still tied well today. i used a large eye curved needle and maybe a needle threader too. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:48 AM

I have used yard and embroidery thread (the ones for hand embroidery). The yarn seemed to stay tied and I would use a drop of Fray Check to keep them tied.