Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Type of paper used for paper piecing? >

Type of paper used for paper piecing?

Type of paper used for paper piecing?

Old 10-12-2014, 05:00 PM

I love the Scribble or Doodle pads from Dollar Tree. I used my rotary cutter to cut down to 8 1/2 inches. They came 9 x 11. But I didn't have to cut the 11 down. On my printer, I had to feed them one at a time but I also had to do that with the Carol Doak paper. They tore the same once they were sewn.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:06 PM

I use regular copy paper. I work in a physician's office and we get tons of faxes with cover sheets. If there isn't any patient name on the cover sheet the staff saves them for me. I use these for paperpiecing. It's amazing how much paper is wasted: I have a stack of cover sheets over 8" high after only 6 months. I've tried the Carol Doak papers and found they jammed my printer. I have no problem removing the copy paper from my blocks. I use a small stitch length, crease the paper with my fingernail and tear it away easily.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:28 PM

I don't use "paper", I use a thin interfacing that I have pressed to freezer paper in order to pass it through my printer. Remove the freezer paper after printing and you can reuse it several times over. With the thin interfacing you don't have to rip it out after sewing your blocks, it stays on and does not add any thickness to your blocks.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
I don't use "paper", I use a thin interfacing that I have pressed to freezer paper in order to pass it through my printer. Remove the freezer paper after printing and you can reuse it several times over. With the thin interfacing you don't have to rip it out after sewing your blocks, it stays on and does not add any thickness to your blocks.
What exactly are you using? Sounds very interesting
Old 10-12-2014, 05:43 PM

What a great idea....I asked my husband to bring me freezer paper (for applique) but he returned with butchers paper - a massive roll ! Perhaps I could use it for paper piecing?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

I've tried them all. Expensive to cheap. Designer name to poster recommended. My favorite is Stable Stuff and lightweight vellum. Both go through the printer.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:01 AM

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate the great ideas you have given me.

Elise
Old 10-13-2014, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
I ordered a ream of newsprint from amazon really cheap & it tears easily & feeds through the printer. 8 1/2 x 11.
I just ordered this as well - and it works great for me. I put it through my laser printer and then off to sewing room I go.

Before that, I used the cheapest white printer paper, a very short stitch length and when removing it from the fabric piece (in the stubborn / tiny PP pieces) used a moistened Qtip which I ran down the stitches. That little bit of moisture softened the paper right at the stitch line and the pieces remove beautifully.

The upside to newsprint is it's down side as well - the newsprint is thinner and removes in a snap, but if you need to rip and resew a piece then the thin paper is not as durable. Do not get me wrong - I love it - but it is more fragile than printer paper.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
I would like to know specifically what you are using. I have several Jacqueline de Jonge patterns that don't have the papers with them. Her patterns are so intricate, I was dreading having to work with all that paper and then tear it off. You may just have the method that will get me started on one of her gorgeous patterns.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:31 AM

I just use the cheapest typing/copy paper I can find.