Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
uh oh >

uh oh

uh oh

Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Those plastic gears are one of the reasons I love vintage (pre 1960) sewing machines.
Someone once gave me an almost new Singer and it lasted less than a year-plastic gear broke.
I have Kenmore 8 stitch that will probably never break, and a little Singer Spartan that can sew anything and is my main quilt piecing machine as it sews straight stitches very well. Both of them only need a bit of cleaning and oiling to keep running well.
All-metal gears and parts make good sense on a sewing machine.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:04 AM

Sorry to hear your sewing machine bit the dust but am glad your neighbor was able to give you her sewing machine - whew! Now your quilting continues :)
Old 04-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Those plastic gears are one of the reasons I love vintage (pre 1960) sewing machines.
Someone once gave me an almost new Singer and it lasted less than a year-plastic gear broke.
I have Kenmore 8 stitch that will probably never break, and a little Singer Spartan that can sew anything and is my main quilt piecing machine as it sews straight stitches very well. Both of them only need a bit of cleaning and oiling to keep running well.
All-metal gears and parts make good sense on a sewing machine.
Emma, my Singer was 20 years old; I'd *never* had it serviced. So I think I got a good run for my money on it. I'm just sorry about it because my mom gave it to me; it was the best (physical) gift I've received from her. See http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-112224-1.htm for her/our story.

Still don't have the Montgry Wards machine yet; playing phone tag. Guess I'll re-organize my fabric or something. Or do some cutting with my new blade.

Just missed a Bernina 1130 at an estate sale that went for $220. I know Bernina is a good name, but otherwise don't know diddly about sewing machines.

I really don't have any cash right now (and don't want to add to the credit card balance), so am going to have to wait for awhile. And in the meantime, start learning up on good types of machines to invest in at this point in life.

-- Jillaine
Old 04-09-2011, 10:52 AM

Just read your story about the pincushion and your mom. Very sweet. I wish I lived closer, I would give you a sewing machine. A friend of mine went to a yard sale and ended up bringing me four non working machines, as she knows I like to tinker with them. I have three of them up and running now, and have to figure out what's up with the fourth one. If your neighbor doesn't come thru with a machine, let me know..........
Old 04-09-2011, 11:17 AM

She came through; now I have to see if I can use it! It's a beast!!! (See my new post in Pictures)

THanks for your incredible generosity.

-- Jillaine