Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Un-sewing >

Un-sewing

Un-sewing

Old 10-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

It's not something I PLAN to do, but it comes with the territory. Fabric is stretchy so seams can become wonky. Fabric has two sides so the wrong sides can be sewn together. Quilts often use patterns so it is easy to pick up the pattern out of order. Ripping (or frogging as many call it) is just part of the process. Nothing to put extra emphasis on or beat myself up for. The faster I can undo the mistake, the faster I can get moving forward again.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:09 PM

Nope.. I'm part of the 100% Un-sew Club. The club dance is called "The Froggie" and we sing "rip it, rip it, rip it".. to any tune you want.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:17 PM

Most of the time my ripper gets a workout. Sometimes only needed to correct a seam that got caught the wrong way at an intersection and only a few stitches need removed to correct the problem. But unfortunately it usually gets heavier use than that. LOL
Old 10-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Unfortunately, I cannot say yes to your question, but I certainly say I could. I'm afraid I might be the queen of un-sewing, but I'm learning to live with it. If it weren't for all the "un-sewing" I would get my quilts done more quickly. But after the "un-sewing" I usually come back to it with some hot chocolate and some munchies and I'm good to go.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:36 PM

I have done my share of ripping stitches but as annoying as it has been in the past, I can see how much I've learned and grown through each situation. I recently had to undo the top of a purse and adjust the straps. As annoying as I found that to be, when it was done, I was thrilled about how much better it was and more importantly, how happy my customer was. You WILL move beyond ripping so don't beat yourself up so much. There is no quilting police so you are free to rip or not rip as you see fit! 😋. It comes with the territory, but as long as you are still enjoying the process, don't worry about the seam ripper being your friend! 😍
Old 10-04-2015, 04:26 PM

this week on one of the quilting shows the host asked - how do you tell an experienced quilter from a beginner? The old timer has her seam ripper right next to her because it is not a question of will she use it, but when she will use it!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:19 AM

sure i have! and i have some quilts with holes in them to show for it!
=
ha!

aileen
Old 10-05-2015, 06:24 AM

Well, I just finished sewing borders on a table topper yesterday. And the longer I look at it the more certain I am that I will have to remove it because it's too busy. Ackkkkkk ! First time to have to remove ALL the borders for me. Alas, I have my job cut out for me tonight when I get home.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 PM

I agree with Tucky, I do a lot of flogging. I seen an article not long ago about the correct way to use a seam ripper, it helped immensely with speeding up my flogging. I even have one of the electric seam rippers, but still prefer the regular (correctly used) seam rippers.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:12 AM

Seriously? You mean sewing for 10 minutes and ripping out for 30 minutes isn't normal? LOL I, too, am contemplating ripping out a lot of quilting on a project I need finished by tomorrow for a baby shower. Started a project too late ... discovered the pattern was incorrect (wrong length given for a vertical piece) ... had to come up with a way to fix since I had no more extra fabric ... and my quilting is just not making me happy. But I still love to quilt!