Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uneven sashings creating issues.... >

Uneven sashings creating issues....

Uneven sashings creating issues....

Old 08-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Ok, I took it apart, re-measured..... The 2nd block was not quite 1/8th off on the seam, and that block was just a hair over 12.5". I was able to fudge it enough after that.

Thank you all for your input!!! I think I was mostly whinning, and that it's due to my going too fast, and carelessness. This happens to me every time I use sashings, one would think I'd learn.

I don't understand how the corner stones would help? (I understand they look better with wider sashings). But wouldn't they make my uneven-ness look more pronounced? I've never tried using them, as I figured they'd just show off my messes more.

Thank you all again! :-)

I've just been re-reading through all your posts, and realized I never square up blocks! Have no idea how I missed knowing that! It also never registered in my mind that there was a square ruler thingy to check their sizes! 12.5" is a usual size for me. I'll have to look next time I run to the store!!
Thank you all again!!!! :D :D
Old 08-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

There is a specific technique you can use to apply sashings accurately every time. All you need to do is mark your long sashings with where the seams should go.

If your rows consist of 12-inch blocks with 1-inch sashings, for example, you would mark your long sashing strip at 12 inches, at the next 1 inch, at the next 12 inches, at the next 1 inch, etc. You can use pencil on the wrong side of the sashing strip to make these marks, which should go from one cut side of the strip to the other. When you are ready to attach your sashing to a row of blocks, pin each intersection first. You will find that in some places you will need to ease in a block and in other places you will need to ease in the sashing.

Most importantly, when you attach the next row of blocks, you again pin each intersection. That way the blocks in the 2nd row will be aligned perfectly with the blocks in the 1st row.

When you are pinning, if you encounter a large discrepancy that can't be eased to fit, that is the time to fix the origin of the problem. Looking at the picture you provided, I think you would have found that the 2nd-to-end block in the top row was too large to be easily matched up to the block below (which might have been a bit too small). At that point you could probably have prevented the problem by unsewing the short sashing and re-sewing it so that top block was a little smaller.

Cornerstones are actually a more elaborate solution to the problem. In effect, they create the seam intersections needed for matching rows. Marking the sashing accomplishes the same thing when cornerstones are not used.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Thank you, Prism! I think I'm going to print off all these ideas as I do do this every time! I need to hang them above my machine! :oops: :)

I have the top done now, except for putting an outer border on. You can see a few spots where the sashings aren't quite right on, but he's going to be 5 so I don't think he'll notice.

This is the 2nd done (almost) of five I need to get done by around the end of the month. Number 3 is for my daughter, who doesn't really like quilts, so I'm copying one of her couch pillows. :wink: Notice all those lines I'll need to match? lol!!!! Measure every block, square them up, watch seam allowances.....

Thanks again, all of you!!!! :-)

Hunter's airplane top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43916[/ATTACH]

Daughter's pillow I'm copying the pattern from for her quilt....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43923[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43916.jpe   attachment-43923.jpe  
Old 08-08-2009, 05:12 PM

Thanks for that link, Loretta! :-)
It looks like I would seriously have to be right on with my allowances/measurements to have the corner stones come out in the right place?

Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Wow! that looks great now!!!
You learn fast!!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:17 PM

Thank you, Ninnie!!!! I really appreciate that! :D
Needless to say, I am done sewing for the night! lol!!!!! :wink:
Old 08-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Yes, I did, Loretta! Thanks! :D
Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Diana, that top looks great! You are a quick study, lol! j/j, I know you know how to quilt. We all have these days.
For some reason, when I do something right once, I get the idea, I should never mess up again...uh-huh. I have to be careful, 'every' time.
I envy these speed-quilters on here. :D
Old 08-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Thank you, Quiltncrazy!! :-)
That's one of my problems, trying to be a 'speed quilter'.
I was just looking at pictures of the quilts I've made in the past couple of years, and every seam matches up perfectly.
For some reason this is a newer issue for me. Am guessing from trying to go too fast.... Sigh.....
I am now officially slowing down and checking every measurement! lol!!!! :D
Old 08-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned

i just mark my sashing strips like a PP mentioned.