Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected fire - beware! >

Unexpected fire - beware!

Unexpected fire - beware!

Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 PM

Wow! Kay! Rich & I are still in shock about your accident. Hope your luck changes to the better before long!!! Take care of yourself and your DH. Rowenta does need a piece of your mind!!!!! Sure am glad I don't work for them!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 PM

Oh, do make sure to keep your burn clean. I had one about a year ago(from an iron at work) and after a few days it got infected. I had to go to the doctor for a burn cream with silver in it(it draws out the infection and cools the burn at the same time). I had it covered to keep it clean while I was not at home also. Please keep a good eye on it. I hope it heals up quick.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 PM

So sorry for your mishap. Hope you are okay. I am sure you will figure something out in time.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I just did a 'search' - seems like irons catching on fire has happened to several people.

I try to remember to unplug mine when I leave the area - but one catching on fire while using it would scare the **** out of me.

What is the best way to put out the fire?

My DH said the best way to put out the fire is CO2. Most of us don't have fire extinguishers in our homes, but it's worth thnking about getting one. This is scary! So happy that the fire was able to be put out...but not so happy about the burns.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 PM

That is scary! I hope you heal quickly. I hate to think what could have happened if you'd left the room for a minute to get something and the fire happened. I love how my Rowenta steams, but it's been spitting. My previous Rowenta years ago had an electrical problem in the cord. I occasionally felt a very slight tingle when my wrist touched the cord, and was a little slow to realize what was happening. Time for a new iron! Thank you for your warning. Take photos of your hand, get it checked out by your Dr tomorrow. Burns can get infected very easily.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Wow, talk about a bad day! Hope you recover quickly and hope you get some satisfaction from Rowenta. That is very scary. If you have any of the top fabric, you could make a couple of blocks to do a pieced backing or put your label over the hole as someone has mentioned.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 PM

Sorry to hear this happened. What a frightening experience. As to the hole in your backing, could you perhaps applique something small over the hole.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM

holy crap!

are you okay?

aileen
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Scary story! Glad you were able to put out the fire quickly. We need to know why this happened! Let us know what Rowenta says! Was this a refurbished Rowenta or original purchase? I have seen a lot of the refurbished ones on the market, in stores and I have wondered about them
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

Call your Dr. and get a prescription for Silverdene. I keep a container of it in the fridge for kitchen burns and sunburns. It stops the pain fast. I doubt Rowenta will acknowledge any blame since the company was sold and the irons are now being made in China. It's a shame the name Rowenta doesn't mean quality anymore.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 05-13-2012 at 08:44 PM.