Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unusual tool? >

Unusual tool?

Unusual tool?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:06 PM

This is a companion thread to yours. Has a lot of non-sewing items used in the sewing room. Some really great suggestions. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t127919.html

I use my electric manicure kit to sand down the little nick in spools of thread are. My thread has gotten stuck in that little slit and then does not feed right to the bobbin. So, I just file it down.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:05 AM

I use a wooden skewer to guide the fabric under the presser foot. if the needle hits the wooden skewer it probably won't break, but if it hits something metal it will break and may cause your machine to have to go to the shop to have a repair job done on it.
I use Elmer's School Glue and Crayola Washable Markers. I have board clamps from Home Depot that I have used to keep my thread stand on the sewing table. I use shelf liner (the rubbery kind) under my foot pedal and under my thread stand.
I have an organizer designed for stamping that I use to hold all my notions - so I just grab it when I go to Bee.
I have 2 yard sticks taped together with blue painters tape to use as a guide when long arm quilting a grid.
I have found that one must have an open mind when it comes to sewing and utilize whatever works.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:09 AM

I use rubberized shelf covering to do my FMQ. I cut it into squares and just lay it on the quilt under my hands. I can move the quilt around easily and my hands are free (not having to remove gloves) to remove pins, etc as I quilt.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:17 AM

I use pipe cleaners to get fuzz out of the bobbin area. Problem is most clerks do not know what they are!. I found that chenille is the term to look for and I found the primarily in the toy area or craft section. They bend nicely to fit into small spaces as well.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jakers1 View Post
I use pipe cleaners to get fuzz out of the bobbin area. Problem is most clerks do not know what they are!. I found that chenille is the term to look for and I found the primarily in the toy area or craft section. They bend nicely to fit into small spaces as well.
I use these also, they do work great! Also, if you need to reach farther, you can fold a piece and stick it into the end of a straw! Not my idea, saw it somewhere on the internet, just passing it on!
Old 07-24-2015, 06:15 AM

I use one of those plastic scrubbies on a handle that are used to scour sinks or to scrub potatoes, to clean my cutting map. It picks up all kinds of debris.
Buy those 4 inch long toothpick-like skewers at the grocery, tape them to the short spindles on my wooden thread rack and now I can add the bobbin to the thread spool, keeping both together.
And those wonderful lint rollers are so great for cleaning up the floor around the machine and getting all the threads off my flannel sheet hung up to display blocks (can't remember what we call it....).
Old 07-24-2015, 06:48 AM

I have small paintbrushes all over my sewing room and in my sewing box. I use them for cleaning out my machines, for dusting the table. Love them.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

I keep my yard stick nearby and with a clamp am able to clamp a magnet on the end to reach those spaces where they are just far enough out of reach. I have a few magnetic bowls from Harbor Freight and dropped a bunch of pins clamped a bowl to the yard stick and got all the pins back into the bowl. That is their place of rest from now on. The clamps are called Frog clamps and work great for larger items. These pins really scattered and didn't pick up any dust.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Mascara brushes, unused, for cleaning out bobbin area. They attract the lint and other crud quite well. I wash them and reuse them.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

I found this handy little lighter leash at the checkout a while back. It has the little retractable string for using your lighter while the hook is attached to your purse or belt loop.
I use it on a pair of scissors by my sewing machine. I have spot I hook it on my table and I can use the scissors and then they zip back to hang for next time. I also like to bring it along for hand work and clip it on my purse. Love it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526002[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg