Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Unwashed precuts?

Unwashed precuts?

I was just wondering when making a quilt with unwashed precuts should the rest of the fabric being used be unwashed too?

I would say yes it does. If some pieces are are unwashed they will shrink while the washed fabric won't anymore. Will mess up your quilt.

Just like mike'sgirl said - since I don't prewash precuts, I don't prewash any of the other fabric I may use in that quilt!
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

I agree. I rarely use precuts but when I do, I don't prewash. I normally prewash everything. But if using the unwashed precuts, I would not wash the balance of the fabrics.

Power Poster
    Even unwashed fabrics can shrink at uneven rates.

Blog Entries
    I never pre-wash pre-cuts---but I often pre-wash yardage---I've made literally hundreds of quilts- I have never had any adverse effect from mixing pre-washed and not pre-washed fabrics- unless I had a fabric bleed- and I tend to test any that I think may run & avoid that-so I see no reason to worry about it- there are so many factors involved in any shrinkage- including the batting chosen, how a quilt is quilted- how it is laundered----but most of my quilts contain both washed & un-washed fabrics. they turn out just fine. launder just fine are used just fine.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I never prewash any fabric. I only make wall quilts, so when they get "dirty" I dust them off with my vacuum and soft brush attachment.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I do not prewash fabrics any longer…. unless it's red - I will test it and then hand wash in the sink.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

Thanks for the replies. I still don't know what I will do but man would it be nice not to have to wash and iron the fabric. Maybe just this once I will make a quilt without washing to see how it turns out.

I like to use fabric from my stash when I make quilts and that includes some that are washed. I love charms so I do mix both the washed and unwashed and have never had any problems at all.

Since I always wash fabric when purchased, my entire stash is per-washed. Once in a while I received unwashed 6" strips or squares. I place the strips into a lingerie bag and wash with yardage. I usually wash or rinse squares in a sink of warm water and press when damp dry, so the iron heat helps shrink the squares.