Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use of Steam a Seam 2 in the Blue Package >

Use of Steam a Seam 2 in the Blue Package

Use of Steam a Seam 2 in the Blue Package

Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM

Has anyone used Steam A Seam 2 in the Blue Package? I am working on a quilt now, and have used it extensively to hold down my appliques so I could use them with the raw edge. I have then zig zagged around them (no problem) to finish my applique. I am wondering if it will be a problem when I send it to the Long Arm quilter? Any advice for future raw edge applique? It looks great, but is going to be hard and stiff and that makes me disappointed. Should have thought a little longer about that. Advice for the future......
Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 AM

is it the LITE? I know that package is mostly blue and I have used it many times and is not a problem with the longarm, we'd love to see your top.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 AM

It doesn't say Lite on it anywhere. I have another package in blue that does say Light Steam A Seam 2. I guess I should have paid attenion. The one I used does not say Lite.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM

I was always unhappy with the stiffness factor, too. Because of that I have started using Eleanor Burns' method of applique with the light weight fusible interfacing. It works well for me.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM

It will be ok. . . .but I switched over to the LITE! Works the same way, but it is so much softer!!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM

I love Steam a Seam Lite. One thing you can do to eliminate some of the stiffness. is cut out the middle of the Steam a Seam shape before you fuse it. I'm not explaining this too well, but if you do it, you end up with only about 1/2 inch of Steam a Seam around the outline of your shape. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 AM

Regular Steam-A-Seam 2 does get very stiff if you overlap it too much. I have also switched to Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 for my pictorial quilts. It works better for me. :)
Old 01-26-2011, 04:37 PM

there is a Steam N Seam lite now. Also, you should cut out the centers of Steam N Seam material on larger pieces of the applique. This eliminates the stiffnes & you can use the cut out pieces on smaller applique pieces.

Originally Posted by mrsmail
Has anyone used Steam A Seam 2 in the Blue Package? I am working on a quilt now, and have used it extensively to hold down my appliques so I could use them with the raw edge. I have then zig zagged around them (no problem) to finish my applique. I am wondering if it will be a problem when I send it to the Long Arm quilter? Any advice for future raw edge applique? It looks great, but is going to be hard and stiff and that makes me disappointed. Should have thought a little longer about that. Advice for the future......
Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
is it the LITE? I know that package is mostly blue and I have used it many times and is not a problem with the longarm, we'd love to see your top.
Well, not te greatest picture, but you get the idea. No, it was not the Lite Steam A Seam 2, nor did I cut the centers out of the appliques. I guess I did alot of things wrong. Just hope it can be quilted.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-168761.jpe  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:22 PM
JJC

Originally Posted by mrsmail
Originally Posted by kathy
Well, not te greatest picture, but you get the idea. No, it was not the Lite Steam A Seam 2, nor did I cut the centers out of the appliques. I guess I did alot of things wrong. Just hope it can be quilted.
I love using that stuff and by the way your quilt looks beautiful and I'm sure it will turn out beautifully when quilted. Would love to see another pic of it when quilted.