Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Used Bernina 830 Sewing and Embroidery machine... thoughts? >

Used Bernina 830 Sewing and Embroidery machine... thoughts?

Used Bernina 830 Sewing and Embroidery machine... thoughts?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:59 PM

Default Used Bernina 830 Sewing and Embroidery machine... thoughts?

A local dealer just got a used Bernina 830 S/E machine. The tag says original price $13,000 (about 4 years old). Selling for $5000. Has tons of feet with it. I have read a lot of negative reviews about this model and some who are happy with it. I've seen lots of threads talking about the newer Berninas not being as good a quality as the older ones. Any help would be appreciated. Even though $5k sounds like a good deal, I don't want to get a dud. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 02-21-2017, 07:05 PM

I would pass you can buy a new embroidery machine for that price. I would definitely try before buy. Also they are not the easiest to use but thats just me. I didn't care for the 5 or 7 series so not sure about the 8 series
Old 02-21-2017, 07:31 PM

Thanks, I've been reading that is not super user friendly. What do you have?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:39 PM

Checking out Eday, that is a bit high. What else will they provide? Is there a warranty attached?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Checking out Eday, that is a bit high. What else will they provide? Is there a warranty attached?
Definitely ask about a warranty and guide classes. I've sewn on Berninas for over 20 years now and they are not always intuitive. Plus, you learn a lot of things you might not have ever discovered on your own in the guide classes. Even if you have to pay a bit to take them, they're worth it.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:50 PM

The Bernina (new) 830's are going for $2,500 on ebay, because they are nothing but trouble. If you want to embroider, get a machine that won't live at the Bernina USA shop in Illinois. Every one we've sold has spent more time in Illinois, than with the owner.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:31 AM

I have posted before (Bernina 830 fixed!!!) about my problems with the 830 and how it was fixed. Almost 3 years later I am still happy with my machine. I have not had it serviced (afraid they will screw up the tension) and I have not done the updates, even though a Bernina technician said none will affect the tension. It sews beautifully. I clean the bobbin area often, at least with every bobbin change. I have learned to adjust the tension when I start a project (good info on Superior threads site). I love my machine now. Sorry, I can't help you with the cost.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by kclarke View Post
Thanks, I've been reading that is not super user friendly. What do you have?
I have a brother dream weaver , adore everything about it sews and embroiders like a dream super easy to use. It is a beast and very easy. I recommend any of the brother babylock series machines. The dual feed is my favorite feature I like it more than the walking foot
Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 PM

Thank you for all the advice. It seems there is a love or hate with the 830. It was almost split down the middle which doesn't really give me much confidence to go ahead with the purchase. It does come with lifetime classes and a percentage off on all fabric and thread in the shop but, I can't remember what they said about the warranty or if there was one. It's a little ironic that the lady who traded it in, didn't purchase another Bernina but a Brother. I think I will save my money and buy something that has mostly good reviews. Right now I will keep stuffing my quilts under my little Bernina Aurora 440 which has chugged along for many years now with no issues except a cleaning once a year (I sew alot).
Old 02-24-2017, 09:31 AM

I don't have a Bernina so no expert on them.
I love all my cheap Brothers.