Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
used dryer sheets >

used dryer sheets

used dryer sheets

Old 12-09-2006, 10:15 AM

Hi Lucia, Yes, what a great tip! I am going to have to learn to stop and read the foil box! LOL Thanks for sharing. 8) Betty
Old 12-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Suz

I have used the dryer sheets in yet another method of applique. Place your shape face down on the dryer sheet, stitch around the shape, trim way excess, split the back open and turn. Push the edges out and press flat on the stitch line. Trim the dryer sheet to about 1/4" all around and then applique. I haven't tried it on leaves, but it should work.

WARNING: Be sure to place an old piece of fabric over your ironing surface as there will be a residue builtup from the dryer sheets. No need to ask me how I learned this! I have graduated several times from the School of Experience.
Suzanne
Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Banned

These are all GREAT ideas, I am going to put them in my "steal trap mind" and hope it doens't rust shut! I can't wait to try some of them. :D
Old 12-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Boo

Debbie, you must be younger than me. My mind is more like a sieve. :lol: I love the fact that we can read through these posts whenever we want. Some message boards are set up so that after you read a post it no longer shows. This can be a disaster as you frantically try to remember where you saw something you want to refer.

Regarding using used dryer sheets in quilts. I read somewhere that the residue still in those sheets, will aid in the deterioration of the fabric. If that is the case, I surely wouldn't use them in a good quilt or one that I put an enormous amount of time. Secondly, I don't think they are all that stable. When taken from the dryer they seem stretchy to me and easy to tear. Just something to think about. I love the idea of recycling and am always listening to tips like this. The needle and thread thru a sheet would work well when I do binding at the shop. I think I will put one in my portable sewing kit. Thanks. :lol:
Old 12-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Banned

Thanks, I will rethink how I want to use them.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:48 AM

I have ironed the dryer sheets flat and used them on larger appliqe pieces but have a lot of problems with the smaller pieces. :( I just can't seem to get the smaller ones to turn out right. I put the right side of the fabric on the sheet and sew around the shape then trim the fabric sheet as close to my stitching as possible then cut a slit and turn the shape right side out, but it doesn't work well on the small shapes. What am I doing wrong? :?:
Old 12-11-2006, 03:23 AM

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Thank you. You made me blush, lots… I will not talk about it now because I am sick with a viral cold, compliments of my husband! When I am better I will tell you about myself and how I learned to make do with life.
Lucia
Old 12-15-2006, 05:43 AM

Hi Norah
You asked me a while ago how I got good at making do and to tell you about myself. :lol: :roll: So, here it goes:
“Once upon a time” I only want the best! I could afford it and I prefer to wait than having something of lesser quality. No, I was never a snob that was my way of thinking. So, one day, because of civil war, I just closed my door – actually, my husband did it because he staid for an extra month -- left two cars parked in front of the apartment building and took an airplane to Brazil to start new life, leaving everything behind! Since I only had a check for $185.00 – could not get anything more out of the country – I had to learn how to make do. My first project was our bed: All day long I carried apple crates that I put all together to make our bed. It was really useful, because I placed the crates sideways and used the spaces to place the dirty cloths, shoes, my sons’ toys, etc... And that way we did not need to sleep on the floor. Placed an inexpensive foam mattress on top and covered the whole thing with a bedspread. Let me tell you, it was the most comfortable – and perfumed -- bed we ever had in 35 years of marriage, and I learned that it was more important to have a cozy, comfortable home than a fancy one!
My life’s story could be a better soap opera than One Life to Live or General Hospital but probably people would not like it since I never “slept” with all the men involved in it!!! :twisted: :twisted:
I will place in the "my profile” section the bio I use to send to places were I teach quilting.
Thanks for asking :wink:
Lucia
Old 12-15-2006, 11:07 AM

I have tried using all brands and all kinds of stuff doing machine applique and for me the used dryer sheets works better than anything that I have bought and tred. It makes it easier turning the material under the needle and you don't really have to worry about ripping it off afterwards, I just trim off the excess with scissors and I am good to go
Hellcat in ohio
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

:wink: Yes they work but I buy them for that reason cause I don't use DS but for sewing on.