Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Used jeans >

Used jeans

Used jeans

Old 09-04-2013, 05:10 AM

I love to make ragtime quilts out of jeans and flannel. Also helped a friend make a couple of large throws last Christmas using jeans -one had a pretty fleece on the back and the other a nice flannel outdoorsy print from Connecting threads. Multiple used for jeans.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely wash ALL the fabric before using any of it including the outdoor fabric. I made doggie quilt for a neighbor. Some of the pieces for softness I stitched together like a crazy quilt top. Put it all together and Chico loves his little doggie quilt. Didn't charge her anything for it because I've used her machine a couple times and she had all the material to work with. Just went to her house and did it. I did get 2 plates of chicken enchiladas w/tomatillo sauce, refried beans and rice and some pineapple empanadas to take home. DH said I did good. I was informed Chico drags his quilt with him everywhere.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 AM

All my outdoor fabric said not to put into the washer but just wipe it off. Might want to check yours before you do it.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 AM

Make a simple quilt top, and back with flannel and a layer of batting, with a layer of PUL between the batting and back - a great picnic quilt.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:57 AM

Old jeans make great quilts! My mom made quilts for all six of us girls, and for the older grandkids before she had to give up sewing. My quilt is old jeans backed with heavy flannel and it's about 20 years old now. It's been on picnics, at the beach, football games, hockey games, soccer games, wrapped around kids, parents, friends and even elderly strangers, and sick pets on their way to the vet. It washes like a pair of well-worn jeans and the flannel side just gets cozier. When mom made a quilt for our DDIL (our grandson was on a travel hockey team for over ten years), she used old jeans and backed it with a nice heavy fleece to keep her warm in all of the ice arenas. Other hockey moms tried to rent it from DDIL when they were all at tournaments and were going to be spending two or three very long days sitting on cold metal bleachers. They said nothing was ever as warm and comfy as that quilt! Our DDIL said she feels so loved every time she uses the quilt. Our grandson doesn't play hockey or football any more since he's in college - just not big or heavy enough; but he's on the cheer team for Michigan State U so his mom is still using the quilt at the MSU football games this year.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:08 AM

I made this rag quilt this summer with squares cut from jeans and outdoor fabric, washing both before stitching. I stitched with a size 16 needle and had no problem as long as I went slow. I also made this modernistic mug rug for a swap and have made several for me that have somehow disappeared to neighbor and friends.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]434003[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]434008[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sent-quiltermomma-fronts.jpg   front-view-june-2013.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Love those mugrugs MaryMO!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 AM

My grandmother made me a quilt out of the back pockets of jeans backed with flannel pocket flaps. She doubled the batting and tied it with heavy cording. I used it for winter camping (tent) and it was so warm and snuggly plus it weighed a ton! lol I wore that quilt out camping and now parts of it are pillows for my great niece who never got to meet my grandmother. Other parts are table runners and mug rugs. So it is scattered throughout the family.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely use a size 16 needle, used for heavy fabrics like Jeans. I would also wash the outdoor fabric in addition to washing the jeans, as it's usually best to use the "wash it all" or "don't wash" theory for quilts, even pet beds. My DSIL has made a number of jeans quilts, using squares of old jeans, especially the pockets, with just a backing of flannel and tying the quilts. I can attest that although they are somewhat heavy, they are indeed very warm and great to snuggle under in cold weather.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:03 AM

Aprons are great, and a picnic quilt with no batting too. Stickers don't stick to denim