Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
used longarm ???? >

used longarm ????

used longarm ????

Old 09-22-2016, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I would move on. For that amount and they won't give you all the information for the machine. If in doubt, don't. Not for that kind of money. [QUOTE=ebony;7657473]I need the boards help! I am looking for a used longarm and found one on Craigslist but.........
a 24" Nolting longarm on a 12 foot table about 10 years old. I have conversed with the seller through e
Old 09-22-2016, 06:55 AM

I have a Gammill PDQ, which is actually a Nolting, but circa 1986. I called Nolting one day with a question and they directed me to a super knowledgeable tech, who treated me as if I'd bought a new machine a week ago. I honestly don't know how they do it, but they are great. But mine is a basic machine, and my question was met with an answer that took me to Zoro Tools for a motor. If this machine has a stitch regulator or anything like that, it would be more complicated to fix. So a 10 year old machine itself will probably last longer than us. A computerized part on it would be it's weakness

I don't even know if my machine has a serial number. If it does, I can't find it. The Craigslist machine might not either.

Nolting's web site has used machines. See if you can find something similar and see what they're asking for it.

If you're leary of this Craigslist deal, then skip it. Another deal will come along eventually.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:56 AM

I've sold many things on Craigslist including high end items up to 6000.00 dollars. Always for cash. Money orders and bank checks can easily be duplicated. So can cash, but I doubt someone passing counterfeit money is fooling with buying and taking utility trailer, pickups, tractors etc. Cash is good, and all I'll take.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Asking for cash is normal. First go with some other people who know about long arms and check out the machine. Make a deal and come back to pay and pick up the machine. With a long arm you will know where they live. Noltings are very nice machines.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:58 AM

I would just go & check out the machine & if you want it then go back with the money. Don't ever go alone though. I have sold several things on Craigslist & they always bring someone with them. It just makes sense to do that. Also I always want cash & if I mail it then it has to be Paypal. It is a shame we have to do this but in todays world, we have to. Also I would have a receipt with everything that is included in the package so there are no problems later. Craigslist is a great place to buy & sell but you just need to be cautious especially when it involves so much money. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:50 AM

I can't imagine anyone on Craigslist would take anything other than cash. I know I wouldn't. I recently bought my used APQS Millennium from Craigslist for $6500, and of course I paid cash. I can't imagine anyone would let you take home their item, and have to worry about a fraudulent check?
Old 09-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by midwifehc View Post
I can't imagine anyone on Craigslist would take anything other than cash. I know I wouldn't. I recently bought my used APQS Millennium from Craigslist for $6500, and of course I paid cash. I can't imagine anyone would let you take home their item, and have to worry about a fraudulent check?
Exactly! We just had an instance at my work where someone managed to get a hold of one of our bank account numbers and bank. They made up fraudulent checks and were passing them off to buy high end items on Craigs List in another state! Luckily we have protocols in place that we saw these checks hit immediately and were able to stop payment on those checks, but the people who sold and got payment with those fraud checks were out. On Craigs List it is wise to deal only in cash when you are the seller.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:24 PM

How far away is this longarm quilter? I bought a 301A Singer on Craigslist but it was a local seller and I went and sewed on the machine and I feel I got a very good buy. He would only accept cash also. I don't blame him with all of the scams going on today. My grandson got ripped off when he accepted a cashier's check and found out when he took it to the bank that it was a counterfeit.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Cash does usually mean cash. With all the tracking now, your bank will link the cashier's check to your account when you cash it so they probably don't want that. And I agree with Barb, they probably could be forged.
They can be forged, I had scammers contact me on puppies and send me both cashiers check and Postal money orders, all forged of course. I turned postal MO over to post office with e-mails and all info.
Heard no more. I am sure you are right, they said cash and that is what they want.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 PM

First, it is not difficult to steal a long arm. All furnishings have been cleaned out of homes in broad day light. A moving van, a few movers and an ability to break into a home are all that is required.

If you decide to go see it, bring a friend as others have said - preferably the strong, threatening type of friend! Meet the person in front of a police station, if possible. Get to the police station early, go in and introduce yourself and tell them who you are meeting and why.

If you try it and like it, tell the seller that you will go to the bank to get cash to pay for it - and he/she goes with you. If it is legit, all those things will be negotiable.

If it isn't legit, then the seller will probably tell you that it is already sold.

Having said that, I purchased my pcquilter and HQ16 + frame from Craigslist in 2010. Everything went well. My DH (6'5") was with me and did the heavy lifting. He's not really threatening, but it was reassuring to have him there.