Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
useful or use less quilting notions. >

useful or use less quilting notions.

useful or use less quilting notions.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jane65us
Originally Posted by katsewnsew
I guess I would have to say the Rotary Cutter is the all time best notion I have!
All Time worse is the rotary blade cutter, it was around 20 plus dollars and totally worthless.
HUH??????
Ooops!!! The blade SHARPENER was a waste of my money!
Sometimes I leave out words, just get too tired to type anymore!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Originally Posted by mzsooz
Originally Posted by littlehud
I love my sewing machines and my rotary cutters. I use my Sidewinder a lot. But I do plug it in. I love my new bigger cutting mat. I have almost nothing I don't use.
I have a power strip hung above my table. I plug in the sidewinder, light, iron, etc. When I come down to sew I just flip the switch on the power strip and walah... everything is on. When I'm done, flip switch and all power is off. Don't even have to turn off my iron that way!!
I also use a surge protector to keep all my 'doin's' in one place. When I close shop I turn it off and unplug it. I thought it might not protect my stuff from power surges if it was turned off and plugged into the wall outlet still. So I unplug it from the wall. Does anyone know?
If it's turned off, it's not protecting. Unplugging it is the BEST idea. I do the same. Don't want to take a chance with my expensive machines.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:26 AM

I unplug my sewing machine when I leave it but I admit I don't for the rest-the plug is behind something and a pain to unplug on pretty much all of our power strips-I would literally have to move furniture. Our power lines are underground though-dh says it makes it less likely for them to get hit. Hopefully that's true. For me the power strips are more for convenience than protection I guess.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty's Mama
Whoops - try again! I probably have too many items purchased that aren't used but one that comes to mind is an item - like a half embroidery hoop that you use when FMQ - it has little raised edges to hold onto. Well, I have never used it and figure I never will when the gloves work so well!
I LOVE that tool. It's closer to a 3/4s circle. It has a foam-like insert that grips the quilt when you move it, so you don't have to hoop. Thus, you don't have to stop and rehoop. I use it when I'm doing stitch-in-ditch or machine-quilting long wavey lines. I haven't done much FMA - tho' I have done SOME practicing, and the biggest circle (mine came with 2 sizes in the package) works with the little I did practice. It's much less tiring for my hands than gloves. I don't actually hold on to the grips, I spread my hand with my thumbs on the inside of the grips to guide the 'hoop'.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by justme2
How about a thread listing the best places for shopping on line. Those
with best selections & best sales/prices.Or are we allowed to post them?
I'm new on here & not sure of the rules. Pat
Check out the Recent Topics every time you log on - someone usually posts news about a sale or coupon offer. I did a week or so ago - subject was 'Michael's coupon.'
Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by jane65us
Originally Posted by katsewnsew
I guess I would have to say the Rotary Cutter is the all time best notion I have!
All Time worse is the rotary blade cutter, it was around 20 plus dollars and totally worthless.
HUH??????
Maybe she means the blade sharpener??
Old 07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

I like the June Tailor quilt 'n Press.

It's great for when the ironing board and cutting table are buried.

Supposedly the lines on the pressing side are accurate - the one I had before this one were "off" - I haven't measured this one to verify if they are or not.

I do use the lines for making the corners on blocks square.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM

I DONT USE MY CLOVER IRON OR MY FISKARS RULER WITH THE CUTTER ATTACHED BUT I LOVE MY DRITZ MINI IRON AND MY STAINLESS STEEL SEAM RIPPER COUNLDNT LIVE WITHOUT THEM
LOVE THIS BOARD I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH IN JUST THE SHORT WHILE I HAVE BEEN HERE
Old 07-18-2010, 02:02 PM

I love my rotary cutters and have them for quilting AND scrapbooking..different ones for different projects...same thing with scissors...can never have too many!

Have the clover mini iron that does no good on quilting projects but will do for things that need heated with scrapping.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
MY BEST FRIEND!!! I took the clear thing off the top and place my thread and bobbins that im using for projects, holds my rotaty cutter, pencils, pens, pins tape measures, lost buttons.... and countless other small items

I have this EXACT same thing! I took the top off mine,too, LOL!

I don't remember where it came from, but its been on my desk foever.....