Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
useful or use less quilting notions. >

useful or use less quilting notions.

useful or use less quilting notions.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM

I just had to read what everyone else considered their favorite tool. I would say first is my rotary cutter. I have several different sizes and brands and I use them all. My very favorite tool is my Eleanor Burns Flying Geese Ruler. I have 2 sizes but use the smaller one to make 6 1/2" variable stars and tons of geese, my favorite block. This ruler makes perfect geese every time! Then, of course, I couldn't live without my Gingher's or my ripper. Worst tool -- not really a tool but those long yellow head pins. They bite big time every time I use them so tacking something on my design wall they usually stay in the box.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 PM

My favorite notion/tool is my stiletto. It's just a cheapie with a plastic handle but I have very fumbly fingers and it really helps me guide fabric under the presser foot, move around threads, etc.

Wasted or unused notions: several kinds of chalk markers and pencils that didn't work.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by judylg
The mini iron, that looks like a regular iron, it is so light that it ends up all over the place, oh well, it was very cheap so I do not feel bad. Not all notions are good ones, I probably have more, just can not think of them.
Yeah me too, except mine kept coming unplugged. :thumbdown:
Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 PM

My favorite small scissors is a Finny it is very narroew at the tip and cuts right to the tip. I also like my dish magnet from the hardware store. I uae my clover iron only for 1/4 bias tape. The Iron I take to retreats is a iron that is bigger then a clover with a wedge end and long handle. I never seam to find a travel iron that heats enough. I also like a silicone iton pad to put my iron on when I am using it often
Old 07-12-2010, 03:33 PM

Hey gals I never said my typing or spelling was good
Old 07-12-2010, 04:28 PM

too bad that battery operated bobbin winder doesn't work with my Viking bobbins! I sometimes use with my other bobbins, but its more of a pain to use.
Some quilting notions are a good idea in theory, but not as useful in reality.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sadheart
How about those gingher scissors. I just had to have them. The first pair disappeared while I was at work. Think my ex made off with them for something. So bought another pair.
Afraid the kids would use them for cutting paper and cardboard with them I tucked them away and now can't find them, I know they are here somewhere. ??? Maybe I will find them while I am still interested in using them. Ha ha ha
They are in a very safe place. lol I love my Ginghers, have 2 pairs and the family knows that if they use them, I will make them pay for such transgressions.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by judylg
The best thing I have is my sewing machine, the threader and thread cutter, I have to admit I love. Have considered changing machines, but without these two features I would have to stick with my machine. Saves so much time, especially the threader, oh my gosh....
I have a herd of sewing machines, they get used at some point. All of them have a use.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:53 PM

Does anyone have experience with the Accuquilt Go. I can't decide if I should get one or not. My dh wants to get me one for my birthday, but I don't want him to spend the money if it is not useful and worth it. He knows I find cutting somewhat frustrating. Although I enjoy the whole quilting process, that is my least favorite part.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

That draw full of must buy notions which we use once if it was lucky and are stuck wawy for ever. i have a small wheel which is supposed to draw a 1/4inch seam. still in its wrapper.

oh is that what that tool is for! I had no idea what that was for!