Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a bed sheet for backing

I also use sheets and haven't had a problem. I haven't used those with a high thread count (higher than 250) however, so I'm sure the advice to not use them would pertain to anything higher than that. I've hand-stitched and machine quilted them with no issues.
    They're great to use because they're a standard size for whatever size quilt you're working on!

I too am on disability an can't spend big money on my quilts.
    You might know soon as i started quilting Wall Mart stopped sailing anything I need. My grandmother made all her quilts out of all old close. Her quilts or still going after being used for yrs.

i always use 200 thread count ones and never had a problem i did some hand quilting and i had no problems

Blog Entries
    If I need a matching color I use dye(not Rit).
    What kind of dye do you use and where do you find it?

Blog Entries
    I started using the 100% cotton sheets from Target last year for the backing and some for the fronts (I use alot of white or cream color).
    I machine quilt on my Juki and have had no probems.
    I love the way they feel after being washed. Like Grandma's old quilts. Very soft! :D
    Works great with my Warm & Natural batting. Soooooo soft.
    We all love them. ;)
    Target has all colors of the 100% cotton. I wait for the sales and stock up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    BAD idea,with the exception of flannel sheets. The percale sheets have a weave that is so tight that when the needle pierces the fabric, it breaks the threads instead of going between them. You end up with holes in your fabric, which weakens it. You also have holds left if you have to re-do any stitches.

I'm of the belief that if you use good fabric (buy it on sale!) on the back, you can turn the quilt over and have two quilts.
    I agree, when I first started making quilts, I was told it wasn't a good idea. So, I don't use them.

i am glad you brought that subject up i was always told no to using them but after reading the comments and now knowing about buying one in the right thread count area i think i might try one!!!
    i always leave this site a little bit smarter or with a new idea love it :-)

I used a flat sheet on a few quilts that I tied. I kept one for our bed, I used double batting (too Hot) and it wants to slide off the bed, gave the other away, don't know how it acts. Ours sliding off may be because it is stiffer with the double batting. I only use backing fabric or regular fabrics now. If it works use them, if not don't.

I agree, penski... I always learn new things after visiting these topics. I don't have access to a lot of wide width fabric choices so I always have to cut mine and sew them together creating a seam across the middle of the back. Plus, trying to get that seam in the middle of the top is a pain. I'm definitely going to try a sheet. There are so many more color choices and I'll watch for the 200 thread count. Thank you so much for dicussing this topic! I can see $savings$ written all over my next quilt! :o)

just a side note... that quilt hanging over the door in my photo is the one my grandma made for me in 1970 using a tredle sewing machine and her dresses/aprons! After years of use for dogs, packing, camping, I rescued it and hung it up so I can see my inspiration every day! It's a 9 patch and I can still remember some of the fabric of her dresses. Very special.

last night at guild meeting I heard several ladies talking about using 100% cotton IKEA sheets for backing. They had heard about some other quilters who had used these sheets and liked them. I would think you would have to check the thread count for durability.

I have also heard of using IKEA sheets. Here are links to a couple of blogs that mention this:

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...e-sashing.html

http://www.filminthefridge.com/2010/...arfalle-quilt/

I too use the 200 thread count sheets from Wal-mart and they are fantastic. Plus save big bucks on backing purchases. They wear like iron and do not "pill" when washed.

I did buy some 100% Organic cotton sheets a couple of years ago and they were horrid, they "pilled" after the very first washing.

I longarm for others and own a shop, but still tell the quilters about the sheet options for backings, so far all are happy that they saved the $$'s for more fabric to make tops, and loved the quilt when it was done. Dollars add up quickly when you need 6-7 yards at $9.99/yard!

There is no seam to weaken in the backing either by using a whole cloth such as a sheet. I love them.

They are hard to hand quilt, ask me how I know that? I would never use a sheet for hand quilting again!

I too watch for when Wal-mart puts the sheets on sale and stock up. Thank goodness our Wal-mart still offers us the top and bottom sheets seperate and not only in sets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Grace
    I started using the 100% cotton sheets from Target last year for the backing and some for the fronts (I use alot of white or cream color).
    I machine quilt on my Juki and have had no probems.
    I love the way they feel after being washed. Like Grandma's old quilts. Very soft! :D
    Works great with my Warm & Natural batting. Soooooo soft.
    We all love them. ;)
    Target has all colors of the 100% cotton. I wait for the sales and stock up.
    I use the Target sheets all of the time and when you catch them on sale its like "Bam!!"

What I like about their sheets is the fact you can buy just the flat sheet and a few weeks ago when they had a sale I bought up several king sized sheets in different colors. To me the quality is like a Kona Cotton which to me is great and I love it.

Now since I have been thrift shopping and hitting yard sales I buy sheets there also. But I use them for material for the tops just as much as the backs.

And I have never had an issue sewing them with any of my machines and they are all treadle operated.

Billy

The only negative thing I have ever heard is that hand quilting is difficult if you use them. Every other reason I've heard is positive.

I hand quilt them without a problem I use the 200 count sheets, Maybe the higher thread count ones would be harder to quilt through but I have never had a problem.

When I was a teenager, I used two flat sheets to make great comforters. I had to pry my husband's from his fingers this winter when it was so completely worn out that it wasn't even funny any more. I put two layers of batting between the sheets, and then tied them as you would any quilt. They lasted for decades.

We have an Ikea here, so I"ll have to check out the sheets. I've never considered using a sheet as a backing or in a quilt. But, I bet it would also work great used as foundation fabric for paper piecing. I've got several iron-on patterns needing foundation fabric. I've been very disappointed in the quality of muslin and didn't want to pay big bucks for fabric that wouldn't even see the light of day! A great excuse to run by Ikea:>

I've also heard it was a bad idea to use sheets. My long-arm quilter friend said it was very hard to quilt and it will wear faster.

Blog Entries
    I used sheets when I first started hand quilting, didn't know not to. I didn't have any problems. I've been debating about using sheets again for the backing. I could not find single sheets. Does Target sell the singles or in sets? I usually pieced my backs.
    This was a very informative thread.

Banned
    Target carries them in singles all sizes and tons of colors. I was buying King size top sheets for $4 a pop.

I just bought one just to see if I liked the quality and after I compared it to the Kona cotton I was using I went back and bought all of the king size top sheets they had and another Target had. I think I spent around $250 so I am set up for a while. :mrgreen:

Billy

I'm wondering what the typical quilt store fabric thread count is? And if we can buy sheets similar in thread count, why would it be a bad idea? I understand too tight, or high thread count wouldn't be a good thing. But if the sheets are the same fabric quality and thread count as quilt store fabric, I see it as a win-win.

If the top is 100% cotton and the sheet is 100% cotton there shouldn't be any problem. If the top is a blend, then the sheet should match.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by butterjoy
    I do that all the time! I also use old blankets for the middle if I cannot buy batting/matting (?) Yep, I am on disability cannot afford buying good stuff.
    i hear ya, if not for my angels on here, i couldn't sew. I use fleece or flannel for backing (pieced together) no batting for this girl, BUT my quilts sure are warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    BAD idea,with the exception of flannel sheets. The percale sheets have a weave that is so tight that when the needle pierces the fabric, it breaks the threads instead of going between them. You end up with holes in your fabric, which weakens it. You also have holds left if you have to re-do any stitches.
    I'll bet there is a lot of flannel sheets on sale this time of year too!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast